• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

WIP: Unnamed 2D RPG

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Of course. I'd also like to know how in the world he managed to get way up there.

DieselFuelOnly

Pardon cheez while he gets classy
Reaction score
Same here. But considering the technology of the time... I'm thinking... A super bouncy trampoline of sorts. Or maybe highly modified Moon Shoes...
moon-shoes.jpg

Which by the way, were one of the most dangerous inventions of all time. My ass will never be the same :'(

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Sorry for doubles, but we're getting there... What happened was somehow when I saved the bird out of gimp, on account of me obliviously hitting MERGE LAYERS every time I save something, it mashed the bird and the villager I was seeing about changing some stuff on.. So I gotta go by a screenshot and manually fix the damn thing, pixel by pixel, using the screenshot as my color selector pallet... Thank god I always save screenies as PNG...

Progress:
gettintheredy.png

By dieselfuelonly at 2012-02-08

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Since you're updating your thread with your current work in progress, you don't have to worry about multi-posting.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Oh ok, gotcha :)-HOLD THE PHONE

Lovin' that bird, but I'm thinking what if you had it fly across the screen from one end to the other.. then it disappears

You...

I'm gonna be sick :sick:

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I assure you I'm not in cahoots with our friend Mr. Flying Man. :p

He's lying. He totally is.

Oh, and great job, Diesel. Looking awesome so far. :thumbsup:

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Well... I'll let it fly this time... Anywho, he's out of surgery and.. i must say.. he came out beautiful :cool:

The arrows that go straight across from left to right/right to left are the bird's new pathways, they extend off map pretty far, so each time you see the bird, it will appear to be random. Next thing I post will be two new regions :w00t:
doneye.png

By dieselfuelonly at 2012-02-08

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
He's lying. He totally is.

Oh, and great job, Diesel. Looking awesome so far. :thumbsup:

Ok lets set the gosh darn record straight. I was putting the moves on Gikoku and he turned out to be a guy. S*** happens.
You however remain a mystery.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Oh god... *throws clothes on the character* :'( ... ... :wub:

Cain

Reaction score
Ok lets set the gosh darn record straight. I was putting the moves on Gikoku and he turned out to be a guy. S*** happens.
You however remain a mystery.

Your not the first. I still remember the Giki-chan thread. I can't remember how many new members Gikoku fooled though.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Your not the first. I still remember the Giki-chan thread. I can't remember how many new members Gikoku fooled though.

What I should have done was acted like I didn't care and just kept puttin' the moves on... hehehe...

NOW... The business at hand. Archive.org didn't have anything in 16-bit, but I appreciate the suggestion. I've done a million different google searches and found nothing :'( I may end up using the built in music... but I REALLY didn't want to do that... It's all so generic, if I didn't know better I'd bet my left nut I'd heard it all before. Help is still welcome in all areas.

Something I tested earlier in a blank map. High scale battles... The lag was nauseating :sick: So it's time to figure out why that is and find a way to eliminate it. My initial vision was to start out as a meaningless character, start helping people in the regions, become awesome, then lead a small army of good people against a big army of bad people. It was going to be a huge battle on one map. Now it seems that if I can't fix the lag when there are a lot of characters on screen, you'll be fighting small battles in different regions, then with your last remaining soldier(a very skilled and powerful guy), you go fight the boss. But then he'll take a stray arrow to the neck and you gotta fight the boss alone.

What I wanted was to fight one huge battle in a big field-like region, then move to the next and kill the boss.... *goes all drama-queen determined and stuff* I gotta figure the lag out... I gotta make my vision a reality...

I started making this game so I could kill people and chew bubble gum in a world inspired by Fable.

And I decided against the bubble gum...

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Haha yeah a while back I... no. Actually it wasn't Game Creator. It was something similar. I wanted to do a point-and-click mystery story but the program eventually turned out to be a little too restricted so I quit.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
What I should have done was acted like I didn't care and just kept puttin' the moves on... hehehe...
The last guy didn't end up so well when it went all the way.. wonder what happened to him.

DieselFuelOnly said:
NOW... The business at hand. Archive.org didn't have anything in 16-bit, but I appreciate the suggestion. I've done a million different google searches and found nothing :'( I may end up using the built in music... but I REALLY didn't want to do that... It's all so generic, if I didn't know better I'd bet my left nut I'd heard it all before. Help is still welcome in all areas.

Sorry to hear that, but hey, least we gave it a try.

DieselFuelOnly said:
Something I tested earlier in a blank map. High scale battles... The lag was nauseating :sick: So it's time to figure out why that is and find a way to eliminate it. My initial vision was to start out as a meaningless character, start helping people in the regions, become awesome, then lead a small army of good people against a big army of bad people. It was going to be a huge battle on one map. Now it seems that if I can't fix the lag when there are a lot of characters on screen, you'll be fighting small battles in different regions, then with your last remaining soldier(a very skilled and powerful guy), you go fight the boss. But then he'll take a stray arrow to the neck and you gotta fight the boss alone.

What I wanted was to fight one huge battle in a big field-like region, then move to the next and kill the boss.... *goes all drama-queen determined and stuff* I gotta figure the lag out... I gotta make my vision a reality...

Are all the the NPCs on-screen in the battlefield just complete copies or are they each individually different in design? It sounds like the software has trouble with simply moving all those pixels all at once on screen. I remember SNES & Genesis shoot 'em up games like Thunder Force had major lag when there were too many things on screen at once.

Any plans on giving those companions some depth, such as talking to them, learning things, giving commands, etc.. or will they just be protective shadows?