• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would it be possible....

Kewl Munky

Reaction score
Would it be possible....

...to make a slingshot for a ranged weapon? I think it'd be an epic idea ^_^
Unless it's already been done? If not I think it'd be really ironic to make it more powerful than Skorm's bow. Basically one hit kill any creature besides bosses.

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Would it be possible....

You probably could make one but it wouldn't fit with any of the Heroes shooting motions/animations.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

I think it would somewhat work with the crossbow animations.

Kewl Munky

Reaction score

That sucks if it can't work. I just have this fantasy of using a slingshot to shoot a rubber ball that insta kills any regular creatures :D

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score

If you made it big enough, it might even work with the regular bow. But you'd have to change the shot also.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

I think crossbows are close enough to slingshots anyway.

theboosher

Retexturer
Reaction score

that would be epic. i can imagine you been given it as a teen in the hero's guild to use for the challenge to kill all the birds. haha

Kewl Munky

Reaction score

JohnDoe;332307 said:
Yes, you can make a slingshot as a ranged weapon, but it would need the longbow animations and so would technically be a longbow. Crossbows don't use animations. It would take someone who knows how to weight bones because it's an animated model.

Would you be able to make the model? I was thinking something along the lines of the slingshot you get as a kid in fable II.

Kewl Munky

Reaction score

JohnDoe;332361 said:
I would need pictures for that. But a slingshot is a slingshot is a slingshot, it wouldn't be too hard.

Three cylinders with the stick texture, one for the base, and two to make the points for the elastic band. The band would be a small cylinder too using the string piece of the longbow texture. From there you just rig it to the bones and you'd only be using two bones so even that's easy. Then all there is to do is align the helpers and you have yourself a slingshot mesh. Import, assign textures, make new entries, done.

You know what, I might just do this.

Epic ^_^ Any idea how powerful you're going to make it?

OldBoy

Reaction score

That's pretty nice John!

wulfric

Professional bigot-slayer and redneck-eradicator
Reaction score

if your making a set then i think it would be pretty aweome if someone made a LEGENDARY SLINGSHOT! (in the description it could say that its been used to slay giants - goliath)

OldBoy

Reaction score

JohnDoe;332406 said:
Notice the position of the pocket. It will be like that at the default position, and it will be pulled back at that angle, and the slingshot will mysteriously fire away from between the top parts of the frame. Because of how the animations work, there's not much I can do about that. And because of how augment effects work, I think I might do away with augmenting on these slingshots, or at least make it so that augments don't add effects. This is the part where you people join in: Unless of course anyone has a clever design idea or thoughts on possible workarounds for the animation or effect issues, in which case I'm all ears.
Wouldn't it be possible to add an extra helper outside the mesh itself, and use an effect that makes it look like the projectile is fired from the hand of the hero?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Goliath was slain with a sling, not a slingshot. Just FYI.

Anyway, I really love the model you got there John.

OldBoy

Reaction score

Interesting to see the outcome of this. I can image certain effects could be nice to add to this weapon. Shame I never documented my crazy search through the effects.big, I've looked at almost every single one, but 'forgot' to gather that data in a usable way...

wulfric

Reaction score

Tsuyu;332584 said:
Goliath was slain with a sling, not a slingshot. Just FYI.
i know but it would be near imposible to creat a sling and make it work in fable! :)

wulfric

Reaction score

ok ok but your like a fable modding god... to my unenlightened and easily confused mind it is impossible-and you said yourslef it would be static (no fun :( )

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Heh, I knew you could do it. What happened to your retirement from modding? The way of Ozzy's retirement from music? Or am I confused and that was another member entirely?

Who cares? Bloody awesomely done!

morerunes

Probably Not Corrupted
Reaction score

How about a larger pocket with a large handle? That way the actual pocket is in the spot it should be, and you hold the handle instead of the pocket.

Trawgdor

Rawkin'
Reaction score

For the pulling back thing, I'm no expert on this, but, can't you just make a model, each one with the elastic band being pulled back a little, then script it so the model changes between the shots?

Again, I'm not an expert on this, I don't mod Fable.