• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Guns...Will they kill it?

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score
Re: Guns...Will they kill it?

Why just swing an axe when you can throw on...into the enemies head. Hatchet throwing is the new craze, just throw it and see what it chops off, yeah!

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Seigfreid;93919 said:
Why just swing an axe when you can throw on...into the enemies head. Hatchet throwing is the new craze, just throw it and see what it chops off, yeah!

Yeah, you throw the axe in the skull of one of the 30 Hobbes massing at you but.. uh... now you don't have a weapon for the 29 that are left...

Nah, meele weapons are for... meele'n'!

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Well, no, throwing weapons are pretty good. If they let you throw little axes, knives, shuriken, spears, I'd be really enthused.

Aside from the shuriken, which aren't lethal weapons, with throwing arms you get a weapon with which you can cut and hack and thrust and stab, then hurl at the bad guys when they're too far away. So long as you can pick them up after you use them, and you can carry more than one, I think it'd be really cool, if unlikely to be included, to have throwing weapons.

In addition to bigger throwing weapons like axes and spears, with the ability to be used as melee as well, specifically throwing knives would be cool-- a bunch of little, easily concealable weapons that you can carry and hurl at a moment's notice.

Of course, the big downside is what happens if you miss. Say you have three axes, and happen upon a small family picnicking in the woods. Since roughly eighty percent of the people here are evil S.O.B.'s, you throw two axes, killing little Timmy and the Missus (or the Mister). Then you throw another and miss. You've just given a very angry man (or woman) the tools he (or she) needs to violently rearrange your anatomy in a way you will not enjoy.

And, of course, there's the problem you pointed out-- if you use them and you run out, then have to switch to shooting them at short range. Or go into Equipment and pull out another melee.

Actually, this just opened a new topic in my little brain-- weapons slots. Assuming that the black=bow and white=melee translates to RB and LB, it's possible that they could change that-- allowing you to carry any two of your weapons at the ready, ranged, melee, or throwing in any combination. Or they could keep the ranged/melee slots, but allow you to carry throwing weapons in either slot.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Walker;93930 said:
Well, no, throwing weapons are pretty good. If they let you throw little axes, knives, shuriken, spears, I'd be really enthused.

Throwing Axes, yes. But I assumed we were speaking about some special attack or something that allowed you to throw your average Great axe or something - which isn't overly clever.

:ninja:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Well, actually, he might have been, but he did say "hatchet-throwing", which implies throwing a little hatchet instead of your big ole Greatax.

But looking at it that way, you're absolutely right. Throwing your melee weapon would just plain suck. Maybe in some special situation it would be helpful, but I can't think of one. Though in Fable, of course, you wouldn't be without a weapon-- you've always got your trusty Stick!

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Walker;93957 said:
Though in Fable, of course, you wouldn't be without a weapon-- you've always got your trusty Stick!

Hmm... now you made my mind boggle upon trying to figure out if there will be a stick... or something.. else. :ninja:

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Unfortunately there won't be my stick cause I tried throwing that first.

But you could have some kind of boomerang effect as you throw your great axe sideways, chopping up a hord of hobbes and have it return to you, though if you didn't catch it you'd be screwed.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Oh, god, you actually meant throwing normal melee weapons? Even giving you a Will power to make it return is bad-- that's just a mnd-blowingly blatant ripoff of Star Wars, instead of just a bad idea.

Hmmm.. good point. But what's a technologically advanced stick? Perhaps a stick with a nail stuck in it?

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Actually I didn't think of it til' you mentioned it. And secondly, I've seen the weapon hurling attack in more shows than just star wars. Lastly, hell, if it works, why not use it, right?

P.S.- you don't have to go over board like that on the reply, its kinda rude.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

What other shows/games/books use an atatck where a melee weapon is thrown, then returned to the wielder's hand by any method other than someone else throwing it back or carrying it back or the original wielder going and getting it? I don't remember seeing or reading that anywhere but Star Wars-- and I read quite a lot. I am genuinely curious and do not mean to be insulting in any way, shape, or form.

Whoo [sigh of relief]. I'm happy you didn't think of that until it was said.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Walker;93980 said:
Hmmm.. good point. But what's a technologically advanced stick? Perhaps a stick with a nail stuck in it?

Hahaha! That reminds me of an Episode of The Simpsons were ...someone... wishes for World Peace by removing all firearms.

With no firearms, the aliens invade stating that "finally our technology can enslave the humans!" as they are wielding 2x4's.

Then Ned wishes the aliens were gone and lord behold - here comes Moe with a 2x4 with a NAIL in it!

And of course the aliens flee from the humans superiour technology... Hilarious.

D

Dominov

Tsuyu;93990 said:
Hahaha! That reminds me of an Episode of The Simpsons were ...someone... wishes for World Peace by removing all firearms.

With no firearms, the aliens invade stating that "finally our technology can enslave the humans!" as they are wielding 2x4's.

Then Ned wishes the aliens were gone and lord behold - here comes Moe with a 2x4 with a NAIL in it!

And of course the aliens flee from the humans superiour technology... Hilarious.

Kinda random but.. wasn't that zombies that invaded? Aren't you thinking of a diffirent one?

ON TOPIC. NOW.
I think firearms will completely destroy it. Seriously. I mean, guns. GUNS.
I know they'll be primitive but... well, how can you have firearms in a fantasy game?
"Look! A hobbe! Shoot him!"
That's only a hop, skip and a leap away from grenades.
And then, all you have to do is build a machine in a squash court and...
(I hope someone gets that joke)

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Technically, you could have a, as I usually state it, ye olde boomer. The fact that in fantasy tales there is always a primitive form of gunpowder and "fire dust", the inventive mind of a single human could make an early bomb or precursor for a grenade. It is possibly since its fantasy after all.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with firearms. None at all. I hate bows.
Yeah, I do.
I was extremely dissapointed by Oblivion because they've removed all ranged weapons but the bow. With the poisons of Oblivion, throwing daggers would've been awsome or one-handed crossbows.

.....crossbows... I've always loved them, I see them as the cross-over between bows and guns. Yeah.. sexy.

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Stick to girls, Tsuyu.

Anyway, even if they have a gun and you don't like guns...then you won't have to use it. Keep tearing up the enemy with your bear hands and leave the guns to the marksman out there. But personally, having something loud and destructive is very effective. Aside from that, whenever I use it, I can shout "This...is my boomstick!". That'll be sweet.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm all for it.

And fantasy works just fine with experiments under (or was it in? I'm not sure) squash courts. See the Discworld, where the wizards split the thaum, producing unlimited power. No, it's not exactly what you mean, but that's the best example I could come up with for tech and magic not being mutually contradictory.

And gunpowder firearms are far from fission, I can assure you. They fit in fine with fantasy, too, just a lot of authors don't like them, so they make up stuff like magic interfering with technology.

And anyway-- yeah, you have guns... BUT SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE. Including, I suspect, Hobbes. And I doubt the Undead and the Balverines and the Sprites and all will be much easier to kill with guns than swords and bows, simply for gameplay reasons. And some of them, like the rock trolls, wouldn't be any easier to kill with firearms unless by "firearms" you mean "big keg of gunpowder with a fuse stuck in it".

K

Kagazem

Guns won't ruin the game for me cuz guns are like bows and in Fable I hardly ever use my bow so I probably won't use a gun very much. Swords are the best!

D

Dominov

Walker;94286 said:
Yeah, I'm all for it.

And fantasyworks just fine with experiments under (or was it in? I'm not sure) squash courts. See the Discworld, where the wizards split the thaum, producing unlimited power. No, it's not exactly what you mean, but that's the best example I could come up with for tech and magic not being mutually contradictory.

And gunpowder firearms are far from fission, I can assure you. They fit in fine with fantasy, too, just a lot of authors don't like them, so they make up stuff like magic interfering with technology.

And anyway-- yeah, you have guns... BUT SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE. Including, I suspect, Hobbes. And I doubt the Undead and the Balverines and the Sprites and all will be much easier to kill with guns than swords and bows, simply for gameplay reasons. And some of them, like the rock trolls, wouldn't be any easier to kill with firearms unless by "firearms" you mean "big keg of gunpowder with a fuse stuck in it".

First: Yay. Discworld is great. Terry Pratchett is great.
Second: Did you get my little joke thing about building a machine in a squash court? I hope, because that would be disturbing if we had both come up with the same point independently.
Third: The entire point of why guns are better than bows or swords is because A: they always do the most damage they can and B: they can be fired very quickly
I don't see how they can balance this without crippling the weapon, removing all point of using it.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

You have good taste. Funny books.

Yes, I got the comment-- that's why I responded to it, sort of.

You are, however, wrong. Speaking historically, for centuries bows fired faster than guns. Even into the 19th century, a bunch of guys with bows could beat a bunch of guys with guns so long as they avoided getting caught in the open and blasted at long range.

For a time, armor was also some use against bullets, and many creatures and characters in Fable would have natural immunities, to some degree at least. Trolls, Undead, Balverines (if they returned to the "silver only" thing for real), and possibly Sprites would all have some degree of immunity.

And I don't see how you mean "they always do the most damage they can". If you miss, or if the round hits something off which it can ricochet, and if you're far enough away even a book or a random lump of metal can block a bullet, especially a minie ball, the point at which the weapons look to be (to me) from the one demo shown.

However, they did (thank god) speed the reloading up for the game (again going from the demo), since what looks like it would have been more realistic would have been way too slow.

And, if you want to get right down to it, sometimes a bow can do more damage than a gun. If you get a bullet lodged in your skin, if it's not in a bad place, they can just sew you up and eventually it'll work its way out. With a arrow, the head has to be removed, because as long as it stays it will continue to cut you. That's just one instance of more damage. You can also set arrows on fire more easily and with less danger than you could heat a bullet or something.

I'm also not sure what, exactly, you're worried about. Except for the humans and perhaps the hobbes; and the animals/insects, everything is big, hulking, strong, and/or Will-infused-- why would they not have a defense against bullets?

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Dominov;94327 said:
I don't see how they can balance this without crippling the weapon, removing all point of using it.

Well in Final Fantasy XII, Guns have the lowest Attack points.

However, you have the choice of ammo, and it is the only weapon that ignores defence. They also never miss.

Perhaps they could do something like this.