• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Guns...Will they kill it?

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score
Re: Guns...Will they kill it?

Aside from the never miss part :p (Unless you aim right, of course. Otherwise we'd have the Morrowind-problem)

Also: Did someone say Discworld? HUZZAH!

But I believe Walker is quite right. Guns from that era wouldn't be gamebreaking and bows and swords would still have advantages, especially since Bows rely more upon how fast a person can reach into their quiver and pull out an arrow as well as the fact that it's a bit hard to reload and shoot (while expecting to live) when a guys swinging a sword at you :p

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

I think the main flaw most people do is compare the Fable guns to real life guns. We have no idea how the guns will work in Fable, so we can't say that they will be so much more powerful than bows.

If I remember correctly, in the gameplay demo, it took a few shots to even take down a Hobbe.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Well... I wouldn't say "even a hobbe". Hell, for all we know hobbes have special skin that is strongly resistant to blunt-force trauma, especially when at high velocity.

Okay, so that's not likely-- but you should never assume like that. After all, we all know that it makes an *** of U and ME.

And yeah, "HUZZAH!" Discworld rules... But you don't know my Maryland History teacher, do you? He loves saying "HUZZAH!"... it's very disturbing when he bursts out with one in the middle of a test. [grin]

C

Caboose001

Guns is an excellent idea. I don't care what time period theme there is, I just want guns. (no dark ages or stone age crap, though) ;)

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Walker;94723 said:
Well... I wouldn't say "even a hobbe". Hell, for all we know hobbes have special skin that is strongly resistant to blunt-force trauma, especially when at high velocity.

Okay, so that's not likely-- but you should never assume like that. After all, we all know that it makes an *** of U and ME.

Hobbes were nontheless the weakest enemy in Fable, so my theory is still valid.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

I'm forced to disagree this time. How the hell were the hobbes the weakest enemy? Wasps, Beetles, and Undead were the weakest enemies, aside from the fact that Undead respawn eternally and can knock you on your *** with a single hit.

Hobbes have the advantage of will-users, and the bigger ones could get pretty tough. Not hard, no, but not the easiest either. Unless you have some knowledge I do not possess and are referring to actual game data that says something like "hobbes die with less damage than anyone else".

A

ArenaLegend

This thread needs a poll

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

ArenaLegend;95089 said:
This thread needs a poll

Care to state a question that could be added to the poll?

L

LionHeadTex

Dudes, dudes. Don't get me wrong, I loved the good 'ol bow. But nothing makes a game better than popping a bandit with a pistol when he's charging at ya mate :D

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Yeah, but if the guns fire realistically slowly--which I doubt they would, but if they did-- do you really want to have to switch to melee, or do you want to be able to pull a bow and start riddling them with arrow after arrow.

Actually, it just occurred to me. In 1 and TLC, there was a level-up (I think it was Speed, but I can't remember and don't feel like checking) that let you fire your bow faster. Perhaps they'll add a "reload" upgrade, to let you fire your guns faster.

J

jumbohiggins

two things

first of all i dont love or hate the idea of guns but im kinda worried about what they adition of technology like guns will do to the magic aspect you know people moveing on and what not.

secondly where was it stated it would be in renisance pirate times i never saw anything stateing that

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

A) Renaissance times is not what I term it, that's what others term it. I think it looks more Colonial-period. B) PLEASE would people stop calling it "pirate times?" There have been pirates probably roughly since the first little guy hopped into the water on a log, and privateers from a couple minutes after that, if not before. There are STILL pirates. So how the ****ing hell can there be "pirate times?"

Oh, and that's never been stated... but have you looked at the screenshots? All the armaments and attire and buildings look to be from an essentially Colonial time period, meaning Colonial as in the big surge of imperialism and all that colonized Africa, Asia, and the Americas with roughly fifty billion Europeans. Others say it looks more Rennaisance, but I don't think so. The firearms are too advanced, for one thing. They were still at the slowmatch-and-arquebus stage during the Rennaissance.

And I won't really comment on your concerns about magic and technology, but I will say that they are far from mutually exclusive. There are lots of different mixtures of tech and magic in books, and the occasional movie. From the extremely advanced AND magic-wielding fairies of Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series, to the to the arquebuses and... dammit, I can't remember but there was a special name for the magic-users. I also can't remember the series name. But there are several.

L

LionHeadTex

Alright, here's what I think bro...

Fable has an inner magic to itself that gives it fantasy in any time. The mythical reality of good and evil can be mixed with many things. No matter what shape or form, fable will always have the magic it has. I mean hey, I think guns would be a great asset. The team is putting a modern weapon, the gun, in a mythical environment. The same way they're putting the colonial sense in there.

Seeing the same enemies we've seen before, but now advancing in weaponry by blasting them with shrapnel, gives the game an aging presence. You can see the same sights, the same landscapes, but now you can be not just a new person...but you can use new things to explore and survive. Though Fable can be changed and re-shaped, it's still Fable. You can stand on that great stone you once did in Fable 1 with a sword, and stand on it again with a gun. ;)

And that's why guns would be good in Fable 2. Lionhead didn't put guns in there because guns are used in other video games, they're putting guns in it to show how the world of Albion is changing...how now, your character can take down an opponent with not just a blade and a fireball. But now, a rifle. :cool:

-LHT :ninja:

E

Eastwood

hey
guns are cool
I might use em
but for me
I never care about looks or shape
I like stats
and the effect
and I play games as they are
:sly:
but thats just ONE mans thought
:whistle:

Ishrin

Oakvale Drunkard
Reaction score

I would definitely say Colonial Times is where this is taking place because the gun is looks underdeveloped and also because this a GB's prime in history atleast I think. Also pfft Magic Vs Guns= Magic anyday in a real world sense because if you can stop a bullet because of slow time then SO BE IT I WILL SLOW TIME!!!!...Sorry....Yeah but thats just my opinion

Adam

Mass Effect Bruiser
Reaction score

In my opinion guns are an excellent addition to fable, sure they might be slow but as long as I have my sword too i'll be ok. With a sturdy cobination of gun tactics, melee combat, and magic; a person's character in the game could be quite unstopable. To me gun or no gun Fable 2 will still be the best game on the market.

S

ScareCrow

Dark Drakan;91755 said:
Some of us spoke about it here so to see some more members views just take a look at this link:

http://forums.projectego.net/they-actually-putting-guns-fable-2-a-702/

I dont think it will take anything away from the Medieval style of Fable and just think it will add a whole new element to the game. I personally think it will make the game and characters seem more lifelike as to wield just a sword in an age where guns existed would seem silly.

Perfectly Stated. Rep+

S

silentbob

i would like to know what the process of reloading would be, as they are black powder muzzle loaders and they take a age to load (i should know i own one) but i have friends who also own muzzle loaders and they can load theres in under 15 seconds so who knows maybe there will be skill ranks in it.

F

FableFreak

1. This thread is super old, please read forum guidelines about thread bumping.

2. In the first gameplay demo they show the firing of the musket.

X

xshadowx

im glad you brought ths up because i was wondring if i was gunna be the only one to think the uns was a negtiv, cuz believe me i love guns and i appreciate the, but to me thats not what fable is about, but who knws, they may pull it off