• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

This is why I hate the ocean.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
To be fair, space is easy to explore, seeing as how it's empty. Ocean is full of water and stuff that either eats or crushes you.

I beg to differ, lets see you explore the stars that are millions of light years away and tell me whats on the planets we can't bloody see. Still the ocean is hard to explore as well as theres creatures that eat us, attack us. And the extreme pressure in the deepest parts can kill us and what not.

So yeah both are impossible to explore completely atm.

If I had the choice I'd want the oceans to be explored first, you walk before you run, etc. Best to know about your history before another's.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
lets see you explore the stars that are millions of light years away and tell me whats on the planets we can't bloody see.

It's disappointing to know that we'll never be able to explore places like that since it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light. If only we had a ship that moved the entire universe while the ship stays in one place...

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
To be fair, space is easy to explore, seeing as how it's empty. Ocean is full of water and stuff that either eats or crushes you.

Well... Let's look at it from this point; How many other planets do you think there are, with oceans? Well, it is less than the number of planets, and the number of planets with intelligent life will be even less. But let's just stick with 'planets with oceans'. Maybe... three? If so; We know less about what's out there, than over here, because there are at least three other oceans to even find in the first place. But then again, maybe it needs to be clear what we mean by 'space'. It could also be about the space inbetween everything, everything that we can observe; what makes other planets may be of a different order...? We don't even know what lies below the atmospheres of Urectum and Neptune!

Well, this was found, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZofZToSk2AY&feature=related

It's ANCIENT. I mean, how did we NOT find this!? We put so much money into space exploration, but yet we don't know about things under our own ocean! FFS.

And then they killed it.

It's disappointing to know that we'll never be able to explore places like that since it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light. If only we had a ship that moved the entire universe while the ship stays in one place...

We will need
nibbler1.jpg

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I beg to differ, lets see you explore the stars that are millions of light years away and tell me whats on the planets we can't bloody see.

That's not really the point.

The point is that we can use a telescope to see really far into space with relative ease. Exploring the depths of Earth's oceans is a lot harder and consuming, both time and resource-wise.

That's mainly the reason why we have more knowledge of space than the depths of our oceans.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
That's not really the point.

The point is that we can use a telescope to see really far into space with relative ease. Exploring the depths of Earth's oceans is a lot harder and consuming, both time and resource-wise.

That's mainly the reason why we have more knowledge of space than the depths of our oceans.
We don't even know what lies beneath the atmospheres of Neptune and Uranus. I'd like to know where they draw the line on the defintion of 'knowledge about space'. There are a gazillion planets out there that we haven't even found. If we don't know what may lie in their oceans, how can we s ay we know more about space than our oceans?

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
I beg to differ, lets see you explore the stars that are millions of light years away and tell me whats on the planets we can't bloody see. Still the ocean is hard to explore as well as theres creatures that eat us, attack us. And the extreme pressure in the deepest parts can kill us and what not.

So yeah both are impossible to explore completely atm.

If I had the choice I'd want the oceans to be explored first, you walk before you run, etc. Best to know about your history before another's.

Well... Let's look at it from this point; How many other planets do you think there are, with oceans? Well, it is less than the number of planets, and the number of planets with intelligent life will be even less. But let's just stick with 'planets with oceans'. Maybe... three? If so; We know less about what's out there, than over here, because there are at least three other oceans to even find in the first place. But then again, maybe it needs to be clear what we mean by 'space'. It could also be about the space inbetween everything, everything that we can observe; what makes other planets may be of a different order...? We don't even know what lies below the atmospheres of Urectum and Neptune!

It's the difference between two lenses and a tube, and a submarine. You can just look up and see the rest of the universe, whereas with oceans there's all this water in your way. In space, we don't actually have to go there to know stuff about it, whereas with the ocean you usually do.

EDIT: Damn you, you Swedish ninja.

EDIT Also:
We don't even know what lies beneath the atmospheres of Neptune and Uranus. I'd like to know where they draw the line on the defintion of 'knowledge about space'. There are a gazillion planets out there that we haven't even found. If we don't know what may lie in their oceans, how can we s ay we know more about space than our oceans?

We know what they're made of, how much they weigh, etc. We can make decent guesses about what goes on beneath them based on that stuff.

You can use maths to make theories to guess about the properties of stars, planets, etc. You can't really make theories about what kind of life lives in places we can't see very well.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
There are a gazillion planets out there that we haven't even found. If we don't know what may lie in their oceans, how can we say we know more about space than our oceans?

I just told you.

Space has been explored and investigated a lot more through telescopes, probes and even manned expeditions to the friggin' moon.

I'm not saying that we know a lot about space, but we know more about space than we know about what is down at the bottom of the deepest parts our oceans.

And that is what makes The Bloop all the more fascinating and horrifying.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
@ Tsuyu & Arseface: Alright, then I took the knowledge about space thing too far. Apparently, we can only talk about telescopes? I mean, there are plenty of things we cannot see with our telescopes.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
@ Tsuyu & Arseface: Alright, then I took the knowledge about space thing too far. Apparently, we can only talk about telescopes? I mean, there are plenty of things we cannot see with our telescopes.

Like what?

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Like what?
As I said; below the atmospheres of uranus and neptune. Or the ocean of Europa: We only know that there is water, but not even of there is a single living being. And that's in our solar system. But yeah, maybe that's beyond space exploration; it comes closer to epxloring planets, which is a step further.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
As I said; below the atmospheres of uranus and neptune. Or the ocean of Europa: We only know that there is water, but not even of there is a single living being. And that's in our solar system. But yeah, maybe that's beyond space exploration; it comes closer to epxloring planets, which is a step further.

You make a persuasive argument, Fry.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Hm, I've been thinking about what people are actually talking about, and I came up with two statements:

''Absolutely measured, we know less about space than about the ocean.''

''Relatively measure, we can see less of the ocean than of space.''

Absolute/Relative:
Let's say there are two rooms in front of you. Room Space and Room Ocean. Room Space has 50 objects, 20 of which are identified. Room Ocean has 10 objects, 2 of which are identified.

Absolutely, Room Space contains more unidentified objects than Room Ocean: 30 versus 8.
Relatively, Room Ocean contains more unidentified objects than room Space: 80% versus 60%.

Knowing/Seeing:
When we look up to the universe with our naked eye, at night, we can already see tons of stars. Sometimes you can even see other planets of our solar system, or witness a meteor shower. And often enough, we can see the moon and its magnificent craters. Yet, at the same time;

We don't know what is below the atmosphere of Uranus and Neptune, or if there is life on Europe. We don't know how many other planets even come close to resembling Earth.

When we look into the ocean, you can't see much deeper than a few feet. Everything below that is too obscure. We can hear The Bloop, but what it is? The bottom of the ocean is even so dark and has so many treacherous areas that it's almost impossible to see every part of it. However;
We know a great number of species that live down there and what their life is like. We know various geographical areas and how some of them behave.

Conclusion: I think that ultimately, there are more things we don't know about space, than there are things we know about the ocean. But for now, it is much more difficult to look into the ocean, while we can see a great number of lightyears into space. So I repeat the statements I came up with:

''Absolutely measured, we know less about space than about the ocean.''

''Relatively measure, we can see less of the ocean than of that space.''

Please comment on my thought process if you disagree. Even on a forum I am always in pursuit of knowledge.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
1. Exploration of planets =/= Exploration of space

2. The simple fact remains: we have more data collected regarding outer space than we have about the deepest parts of our oceans. That makes my statement that "We know more about space than we do about the deepest parts of our oceans" true no matter how you look at it.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
1. Exploration of planets =/= Exploration of space

2. The simple fact remains: we have more data collected regarding outer space than we have about the deepest parts of our oceans. That makes my statement that "We know more about space than we do about the deepest parts of our oceans" true no matter how you look at it.
Planets are in space, that's why I included them.

The second part had me thinking: We may have more data of space than of the ocean. In that case, we do indeed know more about space. But considering space is so massively big, I don't think we know close to everything about it, even if we don't include planets. In that sense, space has more unkown things in it thant the ocean. Ehh...

So, there are more things in space, so we know more things about space than about the ocean. But there are also more things in space we do not know, than there are things in the ocean we do not know. But I'm stopping here, as I'm beginning to be unsure about this last part. The knowledge of knowledge is hard to know.
I do not know how many things we do not know about space or the ocean, if I usewhat I directly know. But using logic. In think -not 100% sure- that even tough there are more things we know about space than there are things we know about the ocean, that there are also more things we do notknow about space, then there are things we do not know about the ocean. Huh. In that light, the ocean is inferior both ways. xD

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
There's a lot of repetition in space. Once you know how planets work, you don't really need to have mapped every planet in the universe to say you "know" it.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
There's a lot of repetition in space. Once you know how planets work, you don't really need to have mapped every planet in the universe to say you "know" it.
...What about fish? Also, we don't know how most planets work. We know that they orbits stars and are made of solid material or gas. But mainly with gas planets, we have no clue what lies underneat the atmosphere, even in our own solar system. Once we do know that, we can apply that repetition you talked about. But not yet. And I repeat: Fish. We know a lot about fish, don't we? We can actually dissect them. We can actually study their behaviour. We can see that a lot of fish are similar.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Once again I have to state that exploring planetary bodies is not the same as exploring space.

To draw a parallel with something here on earth: "Space" is the water making up the ocean between "Planets", which would be islands in said ocean.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Once again I have to state that exploring planetary bodies is not the same as exploring space.

To draw a parallel with something here on earth: "Space" is the water making up the ocean between "Planets", which would be islands in said ocean.
Or islands are like suns, and the fish are like planets, in which casethe fish wouldn't count. I'd like people to elaborate on their analogy.