• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

This is why I hate the ocean.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Ocean water = Space

Islands/Continents = Planets

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Ocean water = Space

Islands/Continents = Planets
And we know a lot about the water. What are the things in the ocean Tsuyu says we don't know? Other species? Weird land structures? Then what is the equivalent of that in space?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Why would it have an equivalent?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
As far as I know, nothing is faster than light. In a vacuum, that is.

In water, scientists managed to get electrons faster than the light in that same water. It's called the Cherenkov effect.
not underwater. this is what i was referring to. i don't know whether it applies to in a vacuum or not (since it seems to be based on part of a neutron star, it could).

i don't claim to be an expert on any of this, but when one of my science professors starts rambling about a new development that blows their mind i have a knack for remembering it. science and whatnot only interests me in context, i get bored of the abstract stuff before i can excel at it.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I heard that we know more about the surface of the moon than the depths of our oceans, not that we know more about space than the depths of our oceans, which is an easier analogy.

But there is one thing we can know about the oceans, WE SHOULD NUKE THEM.

WHY IS THE SEA SO SCARY.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
not underwater. this is what i was referring to. i don't know whether it applies to in a vacuum or not (since it seems to be based on part of a neutron star, it could).

i don't claim to be an expert on any of this, but when one of my science professors starts rambling about a new development that blows their mind i have a knack for remembering it. science and whatnot only interests me in context, i get bored of the abstract stuff before i can excel at it.
Well, yeah, in 'imperfect' situations, light gets a little weirder. But without the interference of gravity, in an absolute vacuum, light hits its top speed, and nothing can be faster than that.
Through mass, light is slowed, even through air. The Refractive Index of diamond is even so massive that the light inside it is moving less than half of its original speed. And indeed, in water we can let electrons move faster than the light in that water.
Gravity is a bitch as well. I'm not sure how it affects its speed, but it does change the direction. Neutron Stars are actually pretty funny. Their gravity is so strong that the bend the light that passes them, so you can see behind the star. Yeah, like this:
Neutronstar_2Rs.svg

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
But there is one thing we can know about the oceans, WE SHOULD NUKE THEM.

WHY IS THE SEA SO SCARY.

Just because something looks scary does not always mean it is harmful. Quite frankly, I find the deep sea to be incredibly fascinating, to see the creatures down there whose appearances defy what we believe is possible is just awesome. Hopefully in this lifetime we'll be able to dive deeper and discover all of these unknown species, and hopefully man won't idiotically attempt to relocate their findings.

So please, don't nuke them. ):

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Just because something looks scary does not always mean it is harmful. Quite frankly, I find the deep sea to be incredibly fascinating, to see the creatures down there whose appearances defy what we believe is possible is just awesome. Hopefully in this lifetime we'll be able to dive deeper and discover all of these unknown species, and hopefully man won't idiotically attempt to relocate their findings.

WHAT DID YOU SAY? I COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME NUKING THEM.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score

I was joking, I don't actually think we should nuke then, again I am very interesting in the weird creatures that live in our oceans, indeed that is the very reason I made this thread in the first place, to spur a discussion about them.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
It's actually a good point though... why, when people find a new, odd creature do they only think of killing it? That Japanese shark thing is only one example.