• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why hate the USA?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: Why hate the USA?

^ You're pro-America. He's pro-America. Now you can both skip off into the sunset together or something :p

Aah, ok...I was never really clear about that. One book I read cited My Lai as part of the Phoenix Program albeit misinterpreted by whatshisface...Medina, was it? Or whoever...

Your country's history seems far more interesting than mine - all we seemed to do was pick on the Scots/Irish/Welsh and to be honest, it hasn't really stopped...

Would it be fair to assume that those who commit atrocities in wars, whether ordered to or not, are representing America (seeing as they are wearing the uniform/sporting the flag etc) to those who they are kicking off on? I mean, if all you come across during a war is a platoon of "evil" Americans then surely your perception of that country as a whole is as the Aggressor and not the Peacekeeper?

F

FableFreak

Angel;194103 said:
^ You're pro-America. He's pro-America. Now you can both skip off into the sunset together or something :p

Aah, ok...I was never really clear about that. One book I read cited My Lai as part of the Phoenix Program albeit misinterpreted by whatshisface...Medina, was it? Or whoever...

Your country's history seems far more interesting than mine - all we seemed to do was pick on the Scots/Irish/Welsh and to be honest, it hasn't really stopped...

Would it be fair to assume that those who commit atrocities in wars, whether ordered to or not, are representing America (seeing as they are wearing the uniform/sporting the flag etc) to those who they are kicking off on? I mean, if all you come across during a war is a platoon of "evil" Americans then surely your perception of that country as a whole is as the Aggressor and not the Peacekeeper?

You pose an interesting question, but I feel that it all matters whether the people who commit atrocities are punished for their doings. However I cannot speak for the departed, because of course they will think of the US as evil. But can I be to blame for what a friend of mine did? Although I am somewhat confused by what you are trying ro get at.

I am simply saying that the United States, as a whole, goes into things with good intentions. If you re-read my original post you will see I already said this. We never plan to go into something expecting genocide, no one can foresee such things. Like I already said, we start out meaning well, but it is the unforeseen and uncalculated consequences which turn things the wrong way.

J

Johnnycky94

FableFreak;194102 said:
Umm, what is this all about?

Standing up for your country...thats all, i felt like i was the only patriotic person here!

F

FableFreak

Oh, okay. I thought you were sucking up to me or something...

I just realized something though, why is this in the Gaming Forum?

J

Johnnycky94

Lol idk, and idk why i created it. See the true colors of people?

J

Johnnycky94

And i was smoking Cali drow, thats why

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I suppose I'm just playing devil's advocate in a way - how a country is perceived seems to be relative to who you have met from that country or what you have picked up from other sources. Rarely is the overall picture taken into account when assessing the nature of how a country operates - be it economically, socially, or within military bounds.

I mean, the point of this thread was why do people hate the USA and I guess if all you have ever known or been taught of another country is to hate it and the bad things it has done, whether through modified history with a bias or through meeting people who give a bad rep to all Americans/British/Germans/French/whatever then you are going to make your judgments based on this knowledge and nothing more.

You could tell a post-holocaust survivor in 1948 all the great things about Germany but they may just only be able to focus on the Nazis, you know? With time and perspective, it's different - but some wounds never heal for some people and that can reflect in how they regard another country and those who live there. Seeing people punished for their crimes does not necessarily make your feelings of anger/resentment/hate disappear concerning the rest of the nation in question...

F

FableFreak

Angel;194111 said:
I suppose I'm just playing devil's advocate in a way - how a country is perceived seems to be relative to who you have met from that country or what you have picked up from other sources. Rarely is the overall picture taken into account when assessing the nature of how a country operates - be it economically, socially, or within military bounds.

I mean, the point of this thread was why do people hate the USA and I guess if all you have ever known or been taught of another country is to hate it and the bad things it has done, whether through modified history with a bias or through meeting people who give a bad rep to all Americans/British/Germans/French/whatever then you are going to make your judgments based on this knowledge and nothing more.

You could tell a post-holocaust survivor in 1948 all the great things about Germany but they may just only be able to focus on the Nazis, you know? With time and perspective, it's different - but some wounds never heal for some people and that can reflect in how they regard another country and those who live there. Seeing people punished for their crimes does not necessarily make your feelings of anger/resentment/hate disappear concerning the rest of the nation in question...

You are just stating facts now, so I can't rebute you. But I do agree with you. In places like North Korea the children are taught that the US is the reason Korea is split in half, when really it is the totalitarian gov't's fault. But in the grand scheme of things I feel the US has done much more good than harm. But it's not like we are the only people who have ever made a mistake.

Let me list a few "mistakes" not made by the United States:

The Rape of Nanking
Crow Creek Massacre
Bolton Massacre
Jamestown Massacre
Granada Massacre
Massacre of Thessaloniki
Qissa Khwani bazaar massacre

You and I have gotten into this enough times to know this argument is an endless one.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I'm not arguing with you - I'm just attempting in my usual bumbling way to work out reasons why people may hate the USA (or indeed any other country) whether it be rational or otherwise. For some people it just seems to be "the done thing" to despise or mock another nation without even really knowing why...hence all the American/British haters on XBL. My bet is if you actually met these people they'd have nothing to say but pack mentality online overrides common sense (and, it would seem, decency) and out come all the tired old slanging matches... take someone Steve and I know for example. He hates Americans - ask him why and his reply is simply "coz they're douches". That is it. That is the level of intelligence to his (and many others) arguments for why they feel the way they do.

Out of interest though - what is the deal with Canadians and Americans? Why do the Canadians I've met seem to hate America? My nieghbour is Canadian by birth but lived here all his life and even he hates America and I have no idea what that's all about...can anyone enlighten me?

F

FableFreak

Maybe because we just enjoy mocking the Canadaians... You know, calling them America Junior, saying they live in Igloos and play hockey and eat beavers. I personally have nothing against Canadians, I just think they should be part of our country. (I'm going to get **** for that)

There was a poll that said 33% of Quebec residents wouldn't care if the US annexed the province.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

From what I have heard (and it is most likely horrendously incorrect) the French-Canadians hate the English with a passion too - did we do something to them at some point? We only get taught minimal history at school and Canada has never been mentioned if we did do something to make them all angry...

Surely the mockery from America and the dislike from Canada must stem from somewhere? Seems a bit retarded to just pick a nation and go "ha ha ha" or "I hate you" without any substance to it?

F

FableFreak

It confuses me too. However I haven't met enough Canadians to get the facts I'm looking for.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

i dont hate america, i hate humanity in general. america isnt special enough for me to hate by itself. i love this country, although i wouldnt mind making some major changes. but hey, no country is perfect. i dont see any reason to hate the USA, every country is ****ed up. people are ****ed up. why single out us?

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

If you make enough noise, you'll be noticed first and therefore first in line to get shot down from all sides. Happens all over - not just on a global scale. If you stick your neck out, likelihood is you risk it getting chopped off. America is not known for sitting quietly in the background and reading a book whilst all hell breaks loose everywhere else. At least not more recently, anyway...

Could be annoyance, could be jealousy, could be something else entirely - but someone somewhere will want to put you back "in your place" (wherever that is)

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

i think america, along with all the other countrys, should just worry about themselves. if everyone would just mind their own buissness, we wouldnt have all these problems. and america could stop trying to play baby sitter for the rest of the world. im not sure what the hell we are trying to accomplish in iraq, personally i think bush is just finishing what his daddy started and get the oil. if that the case, lets just bomb the **** out of em, and get it over with. but we clame to be trying to "help" iraq, if thats the case, i say "**** em". lets just leave and let their country go to hell, not our problem.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

TJ Griffin;194126 said:
if that the case, lets just bomb the **** out of em, and get it over with.
It's comments like that which make people get irritated with America, however grossly misrepresentative that notion may be. Why "bomb the ****" out of anyone just for a commodity, however affluent it may make the owner? Makes it sound like human lives are expendable (more specifically non-American lives) if the price is right - comes dangerously close to coming off like hubris...

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

well, i do not aprove of bombing the **** out of a country, but that seems to be our style. just looking for a little consistency. i dont have much faith in this country, so bombing the **** out of some country seems to be the best we can do.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I think America is more refined than that - it would not have lasted as long as it has in terms of global dominance if it remained as uncouth as a caveman.

No one who becomes very rich and establishes strong international connections remains that way for long without some level of shrewd thinking and strategic planning...if all America was about was bombing everyone who hasn't sent them a Christmas card in the last ten years, they would suffer a backlash beyond all control and topple from their current position...even under Bush's reign this hasn't happened so it's not all dumbasses running the place ;)

F

FableFreak

Quick question, why am I paying $4.55 a gallon for gasoline if we invaded a country full of oil?

Haha, wait, I guess the war wasn't about a commodity after all.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

I don't think the oil companies would lower their prices if they got their hands on some extra oil.