• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask The Staff 'Anything'

F

FableFreak

Re: Ask The Staff 'Anything'

Steve, how do you keep the forums running so well and how much maintenance do you actually do? Because so many other forums I go on run like crap or are getting maintained but with the exception of that one time this forum never has problems.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

FableFreak;170625 said:
Steve, how do you keep the forums running so well
I don't. I'd say that Tsuyu and DD have that area covered. I've found that I have very little inspiration to be active and post nowadays since there's certain, problematic things going on in mine and Sharon's real lives at the moment. Not trying to sound all 'emo', by the way! :p

and how much maintenance do you actually do? Because so many other forums I go on run like crap or are getting maintained but with the exception of that one time this forum never has problems.
We get the occasional downtime which, unless you're paying hundreds upon thousands of dollars to techy people, is virtually unavoidable. I check WordPress.org and vBulletin.org everyday - sometimes multiple times - to ensure that we're using the latest available versions. I occasionally check dedicated server performance logs to ensure that things are running smoothly and optimally. I've been tempted to put some money towards some upgrades for the server to make it run even more efficiently.

I try and keep all add-ons and plugins up to date, too, to make sure that any security vulnerabilities are patched up. I also remove redundant rubbish so that it doesn't put any additional strain on the dedicated server. I'm a sucker for optimization, me.

I backup the contents of the dedicated server whenever I feel especially frisky, too.

Can't really think of anyone else. To be honest there's not a whole lot that requires my attention nowadays, dedicated server-wise, it pretty much runs itself. And it ruddy-well should do considering the amount I'm paying for it per month. ^_^

Question to Tsuyu: Why don't you try robbing a bank(?) You silly goose!

Question to DD: When are you going to pick up Rainbow Six: Vegas 2? Your copy is sitting on my bookshelf - all brand-new and sealed - and I'm desperate to carry on through the story mode. :p

Question to Angel: Where are my pants?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

projectego;170679 said:
I don't. I'd say that Tsuyu and DD have that area covered. I've found that I have very little inspiration to be active and post nowadays since there's certain, problematic things going on in mine and Sharon's real lives at the moment. Not trying to sound all 'emo', by the way! :p

Question to DD: When are you going to pick up Rainbow Six: Vegas 2? Your copy is sitting on my bookshelf - all brand-new and sealed - and I'm desperate to carry on through the story mode. :p

Sympathy for whatever **** god is currently be dumping on you.

Good question. Yeah, Tsuyu, why don't you rob a bank. And send me the money for safekeeping?

Why did the EB people try to tell my mom that Rainbow Six: Vegas wasn't out yet when she went to get it for me and my brother for Easter? Were they stupid? Oblivious? Malicious? Lazy with no desire to look for it? Stupid?

And that last question made me laugh. I got a weird look from the guy sitting to my right gluing a bridge together out of popiscle sticks. I love being a teched aid.

(Hey, what're you looking at? At least I'm not reading a book, cackling maniacally, and screaming curses. Mind your own business.)

Does anyone have any ideas for a rational reason to go to the US Coast Guard Academy aside from the fact that THEY'LL pay ME to go to college instead of the other way around?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

projectego;170679 said:

Should have some time Wednesday at some point, i was out all weekend (went out 5pm Sat and got home midday yesterday)and at home very little so didnt have time. Also working 6 days a week for a while again while we are busy. Got to go to Stafford Wednesday too after working for the morning but i should be able to come and get it if i get some time in between.

G

games master2

question to projectego:would you despise me if i was having a very weird affair with your wife

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

Odd question but, okay, I'll bite. I'd probably be wondering what the hell was wrong with my wife for deciding to have an affair with an 11 year old, of all people. Then I'd tell your mom. :p

G

games master2

projectego;170709 said:
Odd question but, okay, I'll bite. I'd probably be wondering what the hell was wrong with my wife for deciding to have an affair with an 11 year old, of all people. Then I'd tell your mom. :p

you..you... (adopts 5 year olds voice)telltale.

anyway i said wierd affair

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

projectego;170709 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. :lol: :sick:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

games master2;170712 said:

Everything i quoted. :lol:

G

games master2

Dark Drakan;170713 said:
Everything i quoted. :lol:
(once again adopts a childish voice) well you are also a taddle tale

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

projectego;170679 said:

I would but... I'm banned from going within 100 feet of any banks... Wouldn't want to do something illegal.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

unknown Hero;170283 said:
awwwww, that really shows that the bosses actually have love for their co-workers...i've never seen anything like that...:'( i might just cry...anyway how did yiou guys all meet each other?
Steve and Andy have been together for a while then it got dull so they added a female into the mix so the authorities wouldn't get all suspicious and are currently renting a Swedish bloke to further add to their alternative lifestyle.

Or the boring version which is Andy and Steve met at school, I met Steve online and then married him and Tsuyu we met on the forums and occasionally on XBL...

Tsuyu;170299 said:
And I live in a damp corner of their basement, occasionally emerging to do some Intertubing.
And there's me thinking the Thing from my last house had followed me here. You don't, by any chance, eat old christmas trees do you?

Arseface;170393 said:
How much money do you guys make out of this site? If you'd rather not answer I wont hold it against you :lol:
Not nearly as much as we'd like. I call it Steve's job because he actively does things to make the money come in. The other ventures we have just require a decent economic climate.

Arseface;170538 said:
Well my dad put these Googles ads on his blogs and they were only a few cents a click. My bad:lol:
Google ads are a bit rubbish sometimes. You have to make them work for you to some extent. Plus if no one is clicking the links then you won't make the dollars. By the time taxes, charges and currency conversions have been made, what looks like $500 is about a tenner :lol:

FableFreak;170625 said:
Steve, how do you keep the forums running so well and how much maintenance do you actually do? Because so many other forums I go on run like crap or are getting maintained but with the exception of that one time this forum never has problems.
Like Steve said, Tsuyu and Dark Drakan maintain a very visible presence on these boards and make them what they are - as well as the dedicated members we have here. Tony Redgrave from our DMC boards is a Greek version of Tsuyu but with less perversions (as far as I know!) - Sephi keeps things working sweetly over at the resident evil site and Albion Knight is keeping his beady eyes on Assassins' Creed X. All work damn hard and make sure that although myself and Steve are not really around much, the boards are in safe and capable hands. Takes a load off our minds that we can trust all you guys, to be honest.

projectego;170679 said:
Honey, when you learn to use the washing machine, you will find the answer to that question. Also try the underwear draw ;)

games master2;170700 said:
question to projectego:would you despise me if i was having a very weird affair with your wife
Umm...what now? o_O

I may be crippled, short-sighted and on incredibly strong pills but paedophilia is not really my thing.

You're grounded. Now go to your room, young man, and think about what you've done! :lol:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Angel;170723 said:
Steve and Andy have been together for a while then it got dull so they added a female into the mix so the authorities wouldn't get all suspicious and are currently renting a Swedish bloke to further add to their alternative lifestyle.

Or the boring version which is Andy and Steve met at school, I met Steve online and then married him and Tsuyu we met on the forums and occasionally on XBL...

All got to have a pass time... :lol:

Yeah guess that is the boring version but true none the less.... :p

Angel said:
Like Steve said, Tsuyu and Dark Drakan maintain a very visible presence on these boards and make them what they are - as well as the dedicated members we have here. Tony Redgrave from our DMC boards is a Greek version of Tsuyu but with less perversions (as far as I know!) - Sephi keeps things working sweetly over at the resident evil site and Albion Knight is keeping his beady eyes on Assassins' Creed X. All work damn hard and make sure that although myself and Steve are not really around much, the boards are in safe and capable hands. Takes a load off our minds that we can trust all you guys, to be honest.

All the staff are good at what they do and help out a lot, i just enjoy my job so spend a lot of what free time i have doing it. :lol:

Tony does seem a lot like Tsuyu actually but with much less perversions as you said. :lol:

Angel said:
Honey, when you learn to use the washing machine, you will find the answer to that question. Also try the underwear draw ;)

Sure it was the washing machine you put them into...? As the last time i came down you wasnt sure if it was a dishwasher or that it was clothes you had put in it. :lol: :p

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Our washing machine came from the Dark Ages...our tumble drier is pretty much the same. I swear neither of them actually do the job they are designed for but rather they just throw the clothes around in a vague attempt to make me think that they are actually cleaning and drying my clothes :getlost:

F

FableFreak

If you could kick a Persian in the balls really hard, would you?

Devalion

Glittering Generality.
Reaction score

I slew 400 of their best men single-handedly, but they finally swarmed me under. I died in honorable combat, bravely, and heroically. Why did I not find Valhalla?

F

FableFreak

Devalion;170772 said:
I slew 400 of their best men single-handedly, but they finally swarmed me under. I died in honorable combat, bravely, and heroically. Why did I not find Valhalla?

Because Valhalla is only for true Vikings. Such as Tsuyu or I.

(By true Viking I mean you need Viking blood.)

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Define "Viking blood." I have a suspicion that, when your vocation is to run around all over the damn place killing people and taking their wallets, it's pretty likely that your blood ends up all over the place.

In more ways than one.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

FableFreak;170758 said:
If you could kick a Persian in the balls really hard, would you?

Yeah why not, causing pain is always good for a laugh every now and again.

Devalion;170772 said:

Email Valhallasupport@angryviking.com for all your queries.