• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

College?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
College?

So, I already did this once (made a similar thread, may have done that twice, applied to college, done that thrice.)

But it anybody else applying to colleges? I did it the first time... damn, two years ago now. Got into the University of Maryland after being (basically) waitlisted, got flatout rejected by the Coast Guard Academy.

Applied to the Academy again this year, got waitlisted, currently, well, waiting.

Am I the only one repeatedly mutilating the corpse of my sanity?

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score
Re: College?

r u a good student?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Quick check-- how old are you? And how do you define "good?"

I'm... academically inclined. I can and did get pretty decent grades in high school by going all-out halfassed. Halfassed works... less well in college. **** up a test or two (especially since lots of classes only HAVE two tests, aside from the final), and you're liable to fail a class. Usually can't make up for it by doing your homework and coming to class. So my grades vary from A's to C's depending on how easy the class is. A's and B's in English, history, Spanish, and other bull****. C's in the important stuff-- calc, chem, physics, and so on.

And why do you ask?

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score

because maybe the reason you were getting rejected was your grades... was that stupid too?
jease.

im 15 and i define good as in C+ and up.

Im working halfass currently in high school right now so maybe ill end up being rejected aswell, but i have family connections to a teacher in the college so i doubt it. maybe university.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Evan52395;383072 said:
because maybe the reason you were getting rejected was your grades... was that stupid too?
jease.

im 15 and i define good as in C+ and up.

Im working halfass currently in high school right now so maybe ill end up being rejected aswell, but i have family connections to a teacher in the college so i doubt it. maybe university.

What? No, the reason I got rejected the first time I applied to the Academy was, in no particular order, I had braces (instant disqualification, apparently), I didn't take math my senior year (ditto), got a mediocre score on the math part of the SAT, and I performed really ****tily on the PT test (bad, not neccesarily an instant disqualification.) I got waitlisted this time because I fixed all of those, or at least improved them to the point of almost-good in the case of PT, and had... good-to-mediocre grades in my first two semesters at UMD, depending on the subject.

And yes, my mediocre grades may have had something to do with it. But I wasn't asking why I got rejected. I only got rejected once, and I knew why. I was simply seeing if anyone else here was a big enough academic-style nerd and the right age to be stressing over college applications.

Okay, then my grades were very good by that standard, with the exception of my periodic dalliances with D's and E's, the saucy wenches.

Also, I wouldn't rely too much on family connections. Your friendly neighborhood admissions bureaucrats don't typically care all that much, though some schools do give... bonus points for being the child of an alumni or whatever. Depends on the school whether stuff like that helps.

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score

oh. well it seems to me you have the potential to better yourself so I think you'll be just fine. Good luck! :)

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

I'm going to TAFE this year, and loving it. Crazy Northern-Hemispherians and they're halfway through the year school terms.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

I'm in college right now. Weee.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arseface;383185 said:
I'm going to TAFE this year, and loving it. Crazy Northern-Hemispherians and they're halfway through the year school terms.

Halfway? Hell, I only have maybe a week left. May 12 is my last day of class, then I have six hours worth of exams. TAFE is what, Typecasting And Fraternizing Education?

DarkenedSoul;383200 said:
I'm in college right now. Weee.

Where, out of curiosity?

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Bah, I'm too stupid to get into a college. Hell if I know what is going to happen after high school.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

North Warwickshire and Hinkley College studying game development.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Walker;383267 said:
Halfway? Hell, I only have maybe a week left. May 12 is my last day of class, then I have six hours worth of exams. TAFE is what, Typecasting And Fraternizing Education?

Doesn't the school term start in September or something? Start it in February like a normal person (and by normal I mean like the three or four 1st world countries in the southern hemisphere).

TAFE stands for Technology and Further Education. It's basically university for people not quite good enough to get into university.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

I am being pressured into College, but I am not going to get good grades in college, Math will fail me the whole time and I have no patience to spend half my day studying on one set subject, I have no idea what I want to be that would require college, I plan on just getting a clerk job.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arseface;383347 said:
Doesn't the school term start in September or something? Start it in February like a normal person (and by normal I mean like the three or four 1st world countries in the southern hemisphere).

TAFE stands for Technology and Further Education. It's basically university for people not quite good enough to get into university.

Yeah, September-December is the spring semester and January-May is the fall semester, for the University of Maryland, anyway. But remember, it's not our fault that you guys have your seasons backwards.

I'm going to assume that's analogous to community college, okay? Because the wikipedia article on your higher education was a incoherent mess.

Firis;383360 said:
I am being pressured into College, but I am not going to get good grades in college, Math will fail me the whole time and I have no patience to spend half my day studying on one set subject, I have no idea what I want to be that would require college, I plan on just getting a clerk job.

Firis. I'm taking a fairly heavy schedule this semester, but not bad compared to some of the ones I've done. I have around 16 hours of class a week. If you did a major like, say, English, you wouldn't have to take much math, and you'd have... not all that much time in class.

There is no "half my day." Unless you deliberately screw yourself over.

Again, all this slightly assumes you're in the US, but I doubt it's much different in the UK or Aussie-land.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Walker;383379 said:
Yeah, September-December is the spring semester and January-May is the fall semester, for the University of Maryland, anyway. But remember, it's not our fault that you guys have your seasons backwards.

I'm going to assume that's analogous to community college, okay? Because the wikipedia article on your higher education was a incoherent mess.

I dunno, what's community college? TAFE is like a mix between University, High school and an apprenticeship. They offer certificates and diplomas mostly, not so much degrees.

Dr KillJoy

Dark Paladin
Reaction score

Back in 2008 I finished a course But didn't pass everything completed and passed a few tests like my english and ECDL tests for people who don't know what ECDL is, it is (European computer driving licence) but now I have been accepted back after 2 years of waiting and in and I have been in and out of jobs

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Gah. Trying to compare the American and Swedish school system is nigh-impossible. What you call College would be "Högskolan" which would directly translate to "High School", to add to the confusion. Basically we've got this:

Elementary School: with grades 1 to 9. You're done when you're 15 years old.

Gymnasiet: Age-wise, this would be high school. However it is more like "little college" where you can pick from several different gymnasium where you life, each one dedicated to a certain area of expertise. I went to one dedicated to computer science and programming.

Högskolan: College. As mentioned though, it translates to "high school". Dunno where the hell I will end up when the time comes...

I'm between the last two at the moment. I was a bit of a slacker and I didn't do too well in my last year programming class, math and natural science. I'm currently working a part-time job whilst reading-up on those classes in order to qualify for "Högskolan".

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;383507 said:
Gah. Trying to compare the American and Swedish school system is nigh-impossible. What you call College would be "Högskolan" which would directly translate to "High School", to add to the confusion. Basically we've got this:

Elementary School: with grades 1 to 9. You're done when you're 15 years old.

Gymnasiet: Age-wise, this would be high school. However it is more like "little college" where you can pick from several different gymnasium where you life, each one dedicated to a certain area of expertise. I went to one dedicated to computer science and programming.

Högskolan: College. As mentioned though, it translates to "high school". Dunno where the hell I will end up when the time comes...

I'm between the last two at the moment. I was a bit of a slacker and I didn't do too well in my last year programming class, math and natural science. I'm currently working a part-time job whilst reading-up on those classes in order to qualify for "Högskolan".

Wow... This makes so much more sense. I wish I could have schooling like that. :(

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

JohnDoe;383523 said:
(and compete against competent people for promotions, unlike here)

JohnDoe - the king of morons. :p

By which I don't mean to say that you're the biggest moron in town, by the way.... Meh, it sounded better in my head...

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

It's pretty much the same system in the UK as it is in Sweden.

And in Malaysia too.