• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

****ing Microsoft Points.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
****ing Microsoft Points.

Seriously, am I the only one irritated by this? I have bought something off Live exactly once (Fable II DLC). As I recall, that cost 560 points, too. Which mean, obviously, that I had to buy more points than I actually needed to buy the DLC.

So, I have 140 Microsoft points sitting on my account that aren't enough to buy anything. So I'm sitting here going, you know, I'd kinda like to get the ME2 DLC, the Overlord pack or whatever and the one with Kasumi.

So I go and look at them. 560 points each, or 1120 total. I have 140 already, so I need to buy 980 points. CAN I buy 980 points, and have just enough for what I need? No. I can't.

I can buy 400 for five bucks, 800 for ten bucks, 1600 for 20 bucks, or 4000 for fifty bucks. Meaning that no matter what I do, points cost eighty cents. Not counting whatever tax there might be. So why can't I just pay $7.84 or whatever and get the 980 points I need?

Because, say it with me everybody: Microsoft wants my money.

Assholes.

Seriously, if I went ahead and did this I would have AT LEAST 220 extra points that I now have nothing I remotely want to buy with. Seriously, I don't need the BS equipment and clothing packs, so what the **** could I do with this? NOTHING. It's a waste of my ****ing money! And now there's MORE of it being wasted than there was before! Sure, it'd only be about a buck seventy-six if I'm doing my math right, but **** 'em anyway.

I don't need to steenking DLC.

Now, no more ranting for today.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Re: ****ing Microsoft Points.

I know what you mean. I hate that, been thinking about the points and how they work for a while, and I kinda just wish I could spend the ammount of money I want to for them.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Glad I'm not the only one. Supposedly, according to the bit of the Xbox.com page I just read, they switched to the points so they could charge under 5 dollars for things, since the minimum charge for a credit card was 5 dollars.

Which makes me very confused because my check card, at least, is perfectly happy buying things that cost less than five dollars.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

They have been talking about changing the amount you have to purchase in bundles for some time but i dont know if any progress has been made on this because there are many people (including me) who have felt the same before.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

That'd probably make it a bit better, if they changed it in some way that made sense. So that, say, the increments in which I could buy points matched up to the average price of a DLC or something.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;407575 said:
That'd probably make it a bit better, if they changed it in some way that made sense. So that, say, the increments in which I could buy points matched up to the average price of a DLC or something.

Yeah that would make me happier too, im sick of always being left with a stupid amount that i cant use unless i purchase a theme or avatar (which i flat out refuse to do as they should be free).

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

It does kinda suck. My cousin just ends up spending the remaining points on accessories and junk for his avatar, but I'd much rather save it and put it towards my next purchase. I would however much prefer that we could just pay using real money and not have to faff about with piddly little points cards. I understand it makes things easier for kids without debit cards/credit cards but, still, those cards just get right on my pip.

Steam got it right. Damn near perfect, in fact. Not only can I use my debit card to purchase all kinds of digital crap, I can also buy digital "gifts" and better yet - receive them.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

My friend once sent me a gift on steam. I never got it. Sucked and make me sad......I wanted it. but Steam is pretty awesome. Plus you can by almost every game practically..

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

I miss the prime era of expansion packs, go to the store, buy Yuri's Revenge for ten dollars, install it, add an extra four hours of gameplay and extra Skirmish options, no leftover points.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score

Walker;407560 said:
Because, say it with me everybody: Microsoft wants my money.

no duh

runeblade265

Ultramarine Force Command
Reaction score

Ehhh. I just save the MS points for my next purchase. Usually I have about 400 ms points left and i use that to buy arcade games.

It doesn't bother me much.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;407568 said:
Glad I'm not the only one. Supposedly, according to the bit of the Xbox.com page I just read, they switched to the points so they could charge under 5 dollars for things, since the minimum charge for a credit card was 5 dollars.

that's a bull**** excuse on their part. they could bypass a credit card minimum and still allow you to choose a specific number of points.
don't listen to their wishy washy jürgen. the only reason they even care about the 5 dollar minimum charge is because people who would buy something under 5 dollars wouldn't be giving them any money at all.

also, i hate how damn profitable these DLC and digital accessories are. i mean, really. they cost NOTHING to make and yet they can make up to $20-30 per unit. it's just completely ****ing ridiculous. there is not better word for it, ****ing ridiculous.

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score

Over here we can buy 500 for 7$, 1000 for 14$, 2000 for (I forget) and 5000 for 72$. The 1000 for 14$ would've worked for you because you'd only have 20 left over which isn't that bad. It's weird that they have different systems for different places.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

I'm not bothered. All those extra points add up, y'know. I got the Snowblind Maps for Gears 2 because of excess points.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

runeblade265;407749 said:
Ehhh. I just save the MS points for my next purchase. Usually I have about 400 ms points left and i use that to buy arcade games.

It doesn't bother me much.

Zjuggernaut;407818 said:
I'm not bothered. All those extra points add up, y'know. I got the Snowblind Maps for Gears 2 because of excess points.

But that's what I'm ****ed off about. I don't WANT to buy other stuff. I want to buy what I want to buy. This is like if I walked into a bookstore, and said "I want that book," and then they told me I had to pay extra on this and every other purchase I made, but that was okay, because then I could come in and get another book! Which I had already paid for! Because they made me!

cheezMcNASTY;407788 said:
also, i hate how damn profitable these DLC and digital accessories are. i mean, really. they cost NOTHING to make and yet they can make up to $20-30 per unit. it's just completely ****ing ridiculous. there is not better word for it, ****ing ridiculous.

Well... I have to say that the prices aren't bad, and they DO put some effort into it. It costs them SOMETHING to pay some guys to make them, and it costs them SOMETHING to run the computers they make them on, and so on. But no, I don't buy many of them.

Evan;407809 said:
Over here we can buy 500 for 7$, 1000 for 14$, 2000 for (I forget) and 5000 for 72$. The 1000 for 14$ would've worked for you because you'd only have 20 left over which isn't that bad. It's weird that they have different systems for different places.

Are you sure about that? It seems a bit odd that they'd sell them to us down in the US in 400/800/1600/4000 increments and then sell them in 500/100/2000/5000 increments to Canada.

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score

Positive. On the marketplace and xbox.com it's that. At stores, the only one I know of is a 1400 mc card for 20$. Which bothered me because the US got 1600 for 20$ and most things I want on the market place come for exactly 1600 so I'd have to buy two.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Huh. Very odd.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

When I buy MS points from stores, they come in 800, 1400, and 2000. I think. Or it might be 1200.

I really wish I could just use real money instead of buying points first. Much better. I hate having an extra balance just sitting on there waiting to be spent, because I rarely buy things from Xbox Live.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score

Evil Microsoft! I know how you feel though.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

I know what you mean. No matter what I buy, even if I was to get something I don't even want, I CAN'T run out of MS points. Why? Because somehow I always have 20 or 40 points left. What can one get for that? NOTHING!