• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

[Poll]:: Pride and You

Which?

• Total voters

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score
Re: [Poll]:: Pride and You

If by weird, you mean the most touching thing I've ever heard, then I agree.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

MrNoob;436217 said:
If by weird, you mean the most touching thing I've ever heard, then I agree.
Literally.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score

:lol:

When you're in the dark with a super sized Haley Bennett prancing around in a bikini on a screen infront of you, you can't just let that opportunity pass...

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

No chick is hot enough to jerk off in the cinema over. None. Whatsoever.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

ssjcb1186;436083 said:
I have yet to see those people who don't know of world issues hurt someone else because of it.

I could list examples if I sat here and thought about it for a while, but I'll just go with the one that's most relevant to my little area of the world. I hope at least some of you remember when gay marriage was officially legalized in California, and then when prop eight took it down. For those who voted for prop eight, there were some people who hadn't thought much about the issue, pictured two dudes together, just thought, "EWW! I HAIT THEM QWARS," and then voted for prop eight. Obviously it would be a gross overgeneralization to think that this was the thought process for everyone who voted for prop eight, because it wasn't, but there were some people that did this. Their ignorance assisted in hurting the homosexual community of California.

ssjcb1186;436083 said:
However, if they have uneducated opinions on the subject and come across as "knowing the truth," then, yes, that is a problem.

Yes, that's also what I was referring to.

ssjcb1186;436083 said:
Now, exceptions would be when they should know something...like how to drive or walk in a crowd or talk to people. If they don't know how to do something or don't know about something that I know well and it seems to be a "normal" thing to know, I don't think it's fair to chastise them for it or be condescending (that I already expressed my dislike for).

Perhaps chastising them or acting in a condescending manner toward them isn't the best course of action in that situation, but why excuse their ignorance when it has to do with something that they should know?

HobbeBrain;436413 said:

When you're in the dark with a super sized Haley Bennett prancing around in a bikini on a screen infront of you, you can't just let that opportunity pass...

I disrespectfully disagree.

Reaction score

HobbeBrain;436413 said:

Whatever turns You on I suppose... :lol:

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

Necromancer11;436645 said:
Perhaps chastising them or acting in a condescending manner toward them isn't the best course of action in that situation, but why excuse their ignorance when it has to do with something that they should know?

Why should they know anything? I agree with "hurting other people with their ignorance" isn't something that is excusable but, like, not knowing where to go or what to do...you know, less...important things.

Well, I guess you're just saying "what 'kind' of ignorance I don't like" but saying it too generally that I took it as "borderline-offensive." I understand where you're coming from though...just a misunderstanding I guess :/
...sorry

Yeah...that example you gave before...was what I was talking about...
people are soooo close-minded it's mind-boggling
...>D

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Do you know why the human race has been so successful? Do you know why we've manage to build elaborate cities, and civilisations, cure the sick, and heal the injured? Do you know the sole reason as to why we've been able to repeatedly throw off the shackles of oppression and dramatically improve the quality of life for not only ourself, our family our our country, but our entire race?

Education. Take that away from us and we're literally no better than animals.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

All primates have them though.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

Arseface;436932 said:
Education. Take that away from us and we're literally no better than animals.

Well, there's Knowledge and Common Sense. A little bit of ignorance in either isn't enough to make us equivalent to Apes. Even an illiterate person can learn a trade and become successful...in his own right, of course...right?

But anyway, that's not what I've been talking about, anyway. I'm talking about things like: not knowing what a game is, what a sign means, how to get to Hampton, how to use a computer, how to drive a standard, what "Civil-Rights" are, and the difference between "stupidity" and "ignorance." These things aren't really necessary in life and being "annoyed" that they don't know these things isn't fair...which was the point I was trying to get across.

But Necro and I weren't talking about the same things and some things are important to know. But acting on ignorance can be dangerous, if only to the self. It can also be harmless. And as annoying as it sometime is, I don't believe it to be something to frown/condemn someone for. Personal Opinion.

So...how about some of that pride?

Question: Do you think it's better to have too much pride or not enough?

Would You Rather: be annoyingly proud or annoyingly humble?

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

ssjcb1186;436940 said:
Well, there's Knowledge and Common Sense. A little bit of ignorance in either isn't enough to make us equivalent to Apes. Even an illiterate person can learn a trade and become successful...in his own right, of course...right?

But anyway, that's not what I've been talking about, anyway. I'm talking about things like: not knowing what a game is, what a sign means, how to get to Hampton, how to use a computer, how to drive a standard, what "Civil-Rights" are, and the difference between "stupidity" and "ignorance." These things aren't really necessary in life and being "annoyed" that they don't know these things isn't fair...which was the point I was trying to get across.

But Necro and I weren't talking about the same things and some things are important to know. But acting on ignorance can be dangerous, if only to the self. It can also be harmless. And as annoying as it sometime is, I don't believe it to be something to frown/condemn someone for. Personal Opinion.

So...how about some of that pride?

Yeah, but should we allow someone to vote without being properly informed? That's the fundamental basis of a functioning democracy. The better informed the public is, the more healthy the political system, and the better quality of life is enjoyed by everyone.

Question: Do you think it's better to have too much pride or not enough?

Would You Rather: be annoyingly proud or annoyingly humble?

Pride can cloud your thinking if it turns into arrogance, which is easy enough. Humility can cloud your thinking if it turns into self-pity. Its best to have a happy medium rather than too much of either.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

Arseface;436947 said:
Yeah, but should we allow someone to vote without being properly informed? That's the fundamental basis of a functioning democracy. The better informed the public is, the more healthy the political system, and the better quality of life is enjoyed by everyone.

You're still ignoring parts of what I said. I said "acting ignorantly can harm others...which isn't okay" and is something I understand...

And when has anyone in Amerricer ever made an "educated" vote? :/

Arseface;436947 said:
Pride can cloud your thinking if it turns into arrogance, which is easy enough. Humility can cloud your thinking if it turns into self-pity. Its best to have a happy medium rather than too much of either.

...well, there's no "in the middle" with this question. I purposefully made it an "extreme this or that" question to make you think. Anyone can just say "I don't like either...I like the middle." Which is clearly the best situation, but not the situation I'm talking about.
...FAIL

>D

Example: My answer would be: I'd rather be annoyingly Humble. I hate the concept of Pride and don't believe it's done anyone good.

I know this is an untrue statement, but if I was in my "passionate, venting" mind, that's probably what I'd say. I personally find pride more unsightly than humility, however.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

unfortunately, how well informed or smart a person is has no bearing on their right to vote. it's rather dangerous to consider how biased and censored a lot of the media is, how easy it is to manipulate a populace when such a media is completely in league with the government.
even if you were to try and inform all of the morons that we share a country with, necro, you would just blend in with all the other political parties and agendas that they are being force-fed every day. it's unfortunate, but it's true. so depressingly true.

@super saiyan charles barkley
it's definitely better to be annoyingly arrogant than to be annoyingly humble. why? if you're annoyingly humble, you watch the world pass you by and only pass judgement. while not part of the problem, you are also never part of the solution. being overly arrogant on the other hand leads to obvious mistakes, and mistakes are learned from. it's better to have experience from personal involvement than from spectating.

this is all purely philosophical, but that's the way i see it. ;)

Arseface;436932 said:
Do you know why the human race has been so successful? Do you know why we've manage to build elaborate cities, and civilisations, cure the sick, and heal the injured? Do you know the sole reason as to why we've been able to repeatedly throw off the shackles of oppression and dramatically improve the quality of life for not only ourself, our family our our country, but our entire race?

McDonalds. Take that away from us and we're literally no better than animals.

fix'd. no need to thank me, these typos happen all the time. :)

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

ssjcb1186;436964 said:
You're still ignoring parts of what I said. I said "acting ignorantly can harm others...which isn't okay" and is something I understand...

That's what I was replying to. How is it not acting ignorantly if you make an uninformed vote?

I guess it's not a problem in America, and other places where voting isn't compulsory, but here, the amount of completely political dumbarses who vote labour or liberal "just coz all their mates do" is literally staggering.

ssjcb1186;436964 said:
And when has anyone in Amerricer ever made an "educated" vote? :/

Cynicism like that is just a compounding factor of the problem we're facing. We can change the world, we just have to do it.

ssjcb1186;436964 said:
...well, there's no "in the middle" with this question. I purposefully made it an "extreme this or that" question to make you think. Anyone can just say "I don't like either...I like the middle." Which is clearly the best situation, but not the situation I'm talking about.
...FAIL

>D

Example: My answer would be: I'd rather be annoyingly Humble. I hate the concept of Pride and don't believe it's done anyone good.

I know this is an untrue statement, but if I was in my "passionate, venting" mind, that's probably what I'd say. I personally find pride more unsightly than humility, however.

I'm not sitting on the fence because I don't want to choose. I genuinely believe that they are about on par with each other.

cheezMcNASTY;436994 said:
unfortunately, how well informed or smart a person is has no bearing on their right to vote. it's rather dangerous to consider how biased and censored a lot of the media is, how easy it is to manipulate a populace when such a media is completely in league with the government.
even if you were to try and inform all of the morons that we share a country with, necro, you would just blend in with all the other political parties and agendas that they are being force-fed every day. it's unfortunate, but it's true. so depressingly true.

Again, cynicism like that only adds to the problem. If people were prepared to act and solve the problem, then the problem wouldn't exist in the first place.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score
That's what I was replying to. How is it not acting ignorantly if you make an uninformed vote?
Well, that's exactly the point I was making. You can't take one type of act I excuse and apply it to everything. I clearly stated that doing things like that wasn't okay or helpful. Why are you putting words in my mouth and reiterating points that don't need to be said and have already been mentioned?

I guess it's not a problem in America, and other places where voting isn't compulsory, but here, the amount of completely political dumbarses who vote labour or liberal "just coz all their mates do" is literally staggering.
No, it's really the same here. That's why I don't vote/won't vote either. I'm not informed enough to make a good decision. I don't trust anything on TV and how can I trust what they're going to do in the future? And the president can't even do anything. The Senate and Congress just stop everything. Well, that's what they've done to Obama anyway :/

Cynicism like that is just a compounding factor of the problem we're facing. We can change the world, we just have to do it.
I'd like to see you "cure" society's ignorance, that would be quite a feat. I'd award you the Nobel Prize for that.

I'm not sitting on the fence because I don't want to choose. I genuinely believe that they are about on par with each other.
Oh. Okay then :)...
But you still didn't answer the question "correctly" but your answer is intellectual/interesting nonetheless :)

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Well, that's exactly the point I was making. You can't take one type of act I excuse and apply it to everything. I clearly stated that doing things like that wasn't okay or helpful. Why are you putting words in my mouth and reiterating points that don't need to be said and have already been mentioned?

Maybe I misread you then. That was my original point.

No, it's really the same here. That's why I don't vote/won't vote either. I'm not informed enough to make a good decision. I don't trust anything on TV and how can I trust what they're going to do in the future? And the president can't even do anything. The Senate and Congress just stop everything. Well, that's what they've done to Obama anyway :/

But if you know you're not informed, then why not get informed, and actually contribute to your country's wellbeing, instead of sitting around watching the system cannibalise itself? You're ****ing everyone over by doing nothing.

I'd like to see you "cure" society's ignorance, that would be quite a feat. I'd award you the Nobel Prize for that.

I shouldn't have to! Everyone should want to help everyone else, the same way I do. The fact that we don't is the biggest social problem we've ever faced, and what's more we all know that that's the right way to think! The fact that we just sit around and watch terrible, terrible things happen to other people, and justify it by either saying CBF, or "What's in it for me?" is disgusting. I don't get why people see me as some kind of arrogant ****, just because I want to help people.

EDIT: Swear filter not up yet... Hope it stays that way, personally.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score
Maybe I misread you then. That was my original point.
Oh...it's K :)

But if you know you're not informed, then why not get informed, and actually contribute to your country's wellbeing, instead of sitting around watching the system cannibalise itself? You're ****ing everyone over by doing nothing.

Well, the point of what I said is that I can't read the future and know what they will actually achieve in the presidency. And I have no control over what any of the government does once they get there. I know I'm being cynical and pessimistic...but that's just me I guess.

I actually probably will vote...but that's if I like either of them. If I don't really care for either after doing research and making an informed decision then it doesn't matter which one becomes president. I guess it doesn't help that I'm Independent/half-Democratic half-Republican (though I relate more the Democrats than anything else).

And I agree that I'm not helping anyone...but I find it no worse to not act than to act ignorantly...ya know?

I shouldn't have to! Everyone should want to help everyone else, the same way I do. The fact that we don't is the biggest social problem we've ever faced, and what's more we all know that that's the right way to think! The fact that we just sit around and watch terrible, terrible things happen to other people, and justify it by either saying CBF, or "What's in it for me?" is disgusting. I don't get why people see me as some kind of arrogant ****, just because I want to help people.
More Cynicism: people want to help themselves and don't want to help others, for the most part. Some people actually prefer other people to help them rather than doing something themselves. If people really wanted to help themselves in the first place, they probably wouldn't be ignorant :/

EDIT: Swear filter not up yet... Hope it stays that way, personally.
I agree...the filter is unnecessary. It's not like we're all going to be delinquents because we're reading "profane" language...-_-

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score
Wisdom is not Knowledge. I believe "ignorance" is the opposite of "knowledge" but correct me if I'm wrong.

Knowledge is the awareness and understanding of facts, truths or information gained.

Wisdom is the ability to apply knowledge.
I would find it difficult to apply something you don't know. But I guess this can be connected to the voting scenario when people vote unintelligibly. Is this "apply what you don't know"?