• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

WIP - Jack of Blades costume

K

Karioudo

WIP - Jack of Blades costume

Today I officially started on this costume, something I've been wanting to do for so long but never got around doing it. So happy! Must dance! *dances* :D
*cough*

So. I'll be posting progress photos in this thread and explain how I did stuff and such. I thought you people might find it interesting XD
I don't have much to show yet, but I do have some stuff.

I wanted to start on the masks first but the problem was that I want those masks to be comfortable but also allowing me to breath and talk easily. The best thing would be to build it directly on my own face but that's not really practical is it? XD

I needed a template of my own face. So what I did was putting a transparant piece of plastic on my face and having my mother dump bandages dipped in plaster on that XD I actually didn't think it would work, but it did.
This is the end result:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Jack_of_Blades_costume/Masks/MaskBase-01.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Jack_of_Blades_costume/Masks/MaskBase-02.jpg

Note that this will NOT be the mask. I'll be building the masks around this with papier maché and linen.

Since plaster and bandages isn't really that strong and since I'm going to need this template 3 times, I added a couple of layers of latex to make it stronger:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Jack_of_Blades_costume/Masks/MaskBase-03.jpg

That's all I have so far. I think I can start building the actual masks this Thursday or Friday, so look out for updates on that ^-^

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on this! XD

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score
Re: WIP - Jack of Blades costume

lol looks like itll be a good costume when its done XD

K

Karioudo

I hope so, yeah XD I have no idea if it will all work out.

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score

If it doesnt money wasted for nothing :devil:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Wow thats an impressive task to undertake +rep

Look forward to seeing the progress of this, i will be keeping my eye on this thread for sure ^_^

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Indeed, but Jack doesn't have a breathing hole...^_^

K

Karioudo

I know that, but unlike Jack I'm not immortal so I do have to breath XD Besides, I can't really dump plastic, bandages AND plaster over both my mouth and nose. I'd suffocate before the whole thing even dried:lol:
I'm thinking of putting a thin strip of linen or something in there (in the neutral looking mask that is, the one he wears) so it at least looks closed but still allowing me to breath.
The other two masks will be completely closed up, as I'm not going to wear those anyway.

*goes back to dump more latex on it* Huzzah for unexpected short school days!:D

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Good idea that is, put cloth which you can breath through...

L

LionHeadTex

Awesome, then make a sign saying ProjectEgo.net!And represent your forum :D

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Indeed, I predict many a rep if you do that...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Karioudo;50678 said:
I know that, but unlike Jack I'm not immortal so I do have to breath XD Besides, I can't really dump plastic, bandages AND plaster over both my mouth and nose. I'd suffocate before the whole thing even dried:lol:
I'm thinking of putting a thin strip of linen or something in there (in the neutral looking mask that is, the one he wears) so it at least looks closed but still allowing me to breath.
The other two masks will be completely closed up, as I'm not going to wear those anyway.

*goes back to dump more latex on it* Huzzah for unexpected short school days!:D

:lol: yeah you make a good point.

Looking forward to seeing the next steps in the design.

K

Karioudo

droded;50680 said:
Good idea that is, put cloth which you can breath through...
I can be smart if I want to XD
LionHeadTex;50682 said:

Maybe I will XD I'm making this costume for a Fantasy Fair in April, so if there are people who recognize me and go "OMG! Jack of Blades! *point*" I don't mind advertising this place ^-^

I think I can start building the first mask in a few hours, instead of tomorrow ^-^ So might have new updates this evening.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

LionHeadTex;50682 said:

:lol: well... i wouldnt say no to that.

:rolleyes:

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

I can't wait to see the end result. :p

K

Karioudo

Okay, updates are slow because I concluded I hate papier maché:p So that's why it still doesn't look like much, but I'm getting there though.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Jack_of_Blades_costume/Masks/NMask-01.jpg?
Added a thin layer of plastic over my bandage-plaster-template-thing and taped it in shape.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Jack_of_Blades_costume/Masks/NMask-02.jpg?
First layer of papier maché went over it. THE FIRST LAYER WAS A TOTAL PAIN IN THE BUTT TO DO, I TELL YOU! D: Seriously.
The other mask on top of the bucket of latex will eventually be Jack's happy mask, but I'll finish that one later on. I still need to shape the one on the ground a bit better before adding more layers. And I also need to learn to make decent photos:p Photos make it look like crap anyway, it looks way better in real life.
And at the bottom there's a crappy sketch of Jack for reference XD

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Lol, nice one I wish you good luck with that.

B

Bethrezen

looks like a head chopped off from the body :D but its not a head chopped off from the body so im not going to say "yikes!" hope you'll finish it soon and we'll see the jack of blades' mask :) keep up the good work

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

I'm so proud of you. :'( such Jack devotion.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

Best of luck with this, Kari! I'm really looking for to checking out the finished result. ;)

K

Karioudo

Sephiroxas;51346 said:
I'm so proud of you. :'( such Jack devotion.

Oh yes, I'm very devoted to Jack XD

projectego;51887 said:
Best of luck with this, Kari! I'm really looking for to checking out the finished result. ;)

Thank you! :D

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Jack_of_Blades_costume/Masks/NMask-03.jpg?
It's actually a photo from yesterday, so it's an 'old' update, but still. The surface is smoothed out by now. I just need to make it a tiny bit sturdier. Painting will probably start tomorrow, so I'm almost done with this mask^_^
I'm so looking forward to painting it :D