• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

WTF I JUST JOINED THE ARMY!!

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score
Re: WTF I JUST JOINED THE ARMY!!

Necromancer11;346667 said:
Please let that be a joke...

It was a joke.

Pirate X;346695 said:
IED. Not a cell phone. IED = Improvised Explosive Device.

Don't try and act smart.

Tiamatria;346693 said:
I was always more interested in being a cop than in the military, because it's be sooo much cooler to get shot by a crack addict rather than getting blown to bits by a cell phone. xD

Not all soldiers get killed by IEDs, about 90% of them do, but some actually get shot. Shows that al Qeada has neither the balls or glory to fight like men, they hide in caves calling a cell phone attached to a small explosive device that has bones and metal and **** all over it, so that it will send shrapnel flying into soldiers. Who the **** does that? Uncivilized mother ****ers should all die along with the civilians.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;346839 said:
I dunno. I have no actual knowledge, but I get really suspicious when I start hearing what sounds like recruiters going, "oh, we don't go into combat." and such. But yeah, I see. Though I'm not sure what you mean by "peacekeeping." Seems like a kinda weaselly, ambiguous phrase.

Mostly like patrolling sorta stuff is what I'm getting at. We still haven't got many casualties. I think it's like 11 out of however many years we've been there. I'm just saying I don't think we're on the front line.

Walker;346839 said:
Also, you... LIKE the idea of dying gloriously for your country? C'mon, man, you've got that backwards. I hate to quote Patton, but it's the other guy who's supposed to die gloriously.

True, I do agree with that. But if it turns out I die, I don't have any regrets.

What does scare me is losing my limps via landmine. I've grown quite attached to them.

Walker;346839 said:
And really? The reserves have commandos? That seems odd, though it's probably reasonable. We probably have the same deal.

Yeah, I think it's great. I really dig the idea of becoming a music student by day, elite soldier by night.

Also, I heard a story about the Commandos. They have this fridge at their base which is full of cans of delicious Coca Cola. They don't drink it though - it's just there for temptation.

Sean;346841 said:
Not all soldiers get killed by IEDs, about 90% of them do, but some actually get shot. Shows that al Qeada has neither the balls or glory to fight like men, they hide in caves calling a cell phone attached to a small explosive device that has bones and metal and **** all over it, so that it will send shrapnel flying into soldiers. Who the **** does that? Uncivilized mother ****ers should all die along with the civilians.

The nature of war has changed. Geurilla warfare is now everyone's favourite kind.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arseface;346855 said:
The nature of war has changed. Geurilla warfare is now everyone's favourite kind.

Well, no. Guerilla warfare is the favorite warfare of people too weak to fight the other kind of war, just like it always has been. It's not pretty. It's not pleasant. And it usually ****s over innocent bystanders, one way or another, almost or at least as bad as whoever's being fought against.

But it has one advantage: it can allow a group with worse equipment, fewer people, and/or less support to be a serious pain in the ass to whoever they currently consider their enemies. Sometimes even to the point of getting rid of said enemies, sometimes just to the point of being a royal pain in the ass.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Sean;346841 said:
Don't try and act smart.

But he IS right. He is just explaining it to Tiamatria.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Walker;346859 said:
Well, no. Guerilla warfare is the favorite warfare of people too weak to fight the other kind of war, just like it always has been. It's not pretty. It's not pleasant. And it usually ****s over innocent bystanders, one way or another, almost or at least as bad as whoever's being fought against.

But it has one advantage: it can allow a group with worse equipment, fewer people, and/or less support to be a serious pain in the ass to whoever they currently consider their enemies. Sometimes even to the point of getting rid of said enemies, sometimes just to the point of being a royal pain in the ass.

That's why it's everyone's favourite. Gone are the day's of soldier on soldier fighting, on a more or less civillian free battle ground. Vietnam and Afghanistan proved to the US, and the rest of the world, just how effective it is.

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score

The White Knight;346744 said:
Special Forces Weapons Sergeant FTW
Fix'd. An added bonus to being in an SF team is that you get cooler weapons (such as the M4A1 SOPMOD)

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

Stop fixing first off, second off SOPMOD isn't limited to SpecOp teams. Thirdly, Guerilla warfare is something that will ALWAYS destroy armies trianed for open combat. IED and pop-shots are the new, more effective warfare, only downside? Civilian damage, of course though, we nuked a coupel of nearly innocent islands and have killed civilians (On purpose and on accident) anyway.

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score

Firis;346873 said:
Stop fixing first off, second off SOPMOD isn't limited to SpecOp teams. Thirdly, Guerilla warfare is something that will ALWAYS destroy armies trianed for open combat. IED and pop-shots are the new, more effective warfare, only downside? Civilian damage, of course though, we nuked a coupel of nearly innocent islands and have killed civilians (On purpose and on accident) anyway.
But in America's Army only people with 15 honor that have completed the SF training can wield them. :(

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

That is a video game and an American army, not an Austrailan one.

TheJJMax

The Ultimate Noob
Reaction score

Firis;346878 said:
That is a video game and an American army, not an Austrailan one.
Wait so he joined the Australian army? :ermm::hmm::unsure:

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

He lives in Australia... Is it even possible to join a foreign nations army without bieng a citizen? I think not but it would be awesome to join the Canadian Forces.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arseface;346867 said:
That's why it's everyone's favourite. Gone are the day's of soldier on soldier fighting, on a more or less civillian free battle ground. Vietnam and Afghanistan proved to the US, and the rest of the world, just how effective it is.

Um... no. Just, no. The idea/name has been around, and been used effectively, since the Peninsular War. Really, it was around before then, but didn't gain its fame until later, when the technology really caught up. My opinion? It's most effective, early use was the Russian partisans. And which Afghanistan, out of curiosity?

But no, my point was that the people getting the irritating little bee stings and/or getting blown up by their neighbors don't like it.

Firis;346873 said:

No. Just, no. In the past: ever wonder why the US had to face the Brits on the open field to win our independence? That's because, unless they broke or retreated instead of fighting, troops with muskets in formations could break any skirmishers or irregulars-- AKA guerillas.

What do you mean, "open combat?" I'm not sure you know what you're saying.

Innocent islands? What, do you mean when we did atomic testing? If you mean Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they were cities, not islands, and "innocent" is debatable. Lotsa dead civilians, but not exactly a country innocent of wrongdoing.

Firis;346882 said:
He lives in Australia... Is it even possible to join a foreign nations army without bieng a citizen? I think not but it would be awesome to join the Canadian Forces.

Yes, it is. That's why 61 Canadians have won the Congressional Medal of Honor. That's why France has that thing called a Foreign Legion. It's sometimes a pretty decent way to win citizenship, too.

(And is it just me or is this my 2,000th post? What a lackluster milestone.)

EDIT: No, 2,001st.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;346886 said:
No. Just, no. In the past: ever wonder why the US had to face the Brits on the open field to win our independence? That's because, unless they broke or retreated instead of fighting, troops with muskets in formations could break any skirmishers or irregulars-- AKA guerillas.

What do you mean, "open combat?" I'm not sure you know what you're saying.

Innocent islands? What, do you mean when we did atomic testing? If you mean Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they were cities, not islands, and "innocent" is debatable. Lotsa dead civilians, but not exactly a country innocent of wrongdoing.

Yes, it is. That's why 61 Canadians have won the Congressional Medal of Honor. That's why France has that thing called a Foreign Legion. It's sometimes a pretty decent way to win citizenship, too.

(And is it just me or is this my 2,000th post? What a lackluster milestone.)

EDIT: No, 2,001st.

Paragraph 1: I am talking current tech, where it is more common.
P2: Army vs Army full out.
P3: Yeah, I meant cities, buuuut, still innoccent people killed just cause they had some infantry there.
P4: Soooooo, as a U.S citizen, I could join the Canadian army? :3

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

What do you mean, "army vs army?" Because, while there haven't been MANY organized state-on-state conflicts, there have been a few-- and they weren't exactly like WWI slugging matches, or anything else. Our army on army has a lot in common with "guerilla" warfare, for a given value of guerilla, just with more armor and aircraft.

Um... if you're talking about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, then no, we didn't kill them because there was some infantry there. We wiped them off the face of the map intending the Japanese to be so ****ing terrified that we'd hit them with a few more that they'd surrender instead of forcing us to invade the home islands. It was a terror attack in the most literal sense of the phrase.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

Walker;346897 said:
Um... if you're talking about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, then no, we didn't kill them because there was some infantry there. We wiped them off the face of the map intending the Japanese to be so ****ing terrified that we'd hit them with a few more that they'd surrender instead of forcing us to invade the home islands. It was a terror attack in the most literal sense of the phrase.

That's exactly what I meant, just you put it in a harsher, truer way :)

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Pirate X;346868 said:
Fix'd. An added bonus to being in an SF team is that you get cooler weapons (such as the M4A1 SOPMOD)

Stop fixing posts. It's not funny or clever. It's just annoying

Pirate X;346881 said:
Wait so he joined the Australian army? :ermm::hmm::unsure:

Not everyone is American.

Walker;346886 said:
Um... no. Just, no. The idea/name has been around, and been used effectively, since the Peninsular War. Really, it was around before then, but didn't gain its fame until later, when the technology really caught up. My opinion? It's most effective, early use was the Russian partisans. And which Afghanistan, out of curiosity?

The first one. The one that sparked the end of the USSR. It was their Vietnam. It's also one of the reasons why the Middle East pretty much hates the west.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arseface;346911 said:
The first one. The one that sparked the end of the USSR. It was their Vietnam. It's also one of the reasons why the Middle East pretty much hates the west.

Wow. That's pretty impressive. A war between an Asian nation and a nation that usually considers itself "not the west" and is in fact, y'know, pretty far to the east and was, y'know, communist at the time made the Middle East hate all the capitalist "west?"

I mean, damn, even more entertaining when you consider how much money and materiel the "west" was funneling the Asian country.

I mean, THAT is what I call impressive. (Sarcastic? Who? Me? No! How could you say something like that?)

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Walker;346925 said:
Wow. That's pretty impressive. A war between an Asian nation and a nation that usually considers itself "not the west" and is in fact, y'know, pretty far to the east and was, y'know, communist at the time made the Middle East hate all the capitalist "west?"

I mean, damn, even more entertaining when you consider how much money and materiel the "west" was funneling the Asian country.

I mean, THAT is what I call impressive. (Sarcastic? Who? Me? No! How could you say something like that?)

I was meaning how the US funded the Taliban, and they ****ed things up pretty bad for Afghanistan. It was a much less conservative nation before the USSR invaded, but it became the melting pot of hate and extremism it is today because of the Taliban.

That may not be quite right, but that's my understanding of it.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

I don't disagree with anything you said there, except blaming one war in one corner of Central Asia for a tendency to dislike the West in the Middle East.

Seems like you're lumping together everyone who's Muslim, but they are different.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Walker;346999 said:
I don't disagree with anything you said there, except blaming one war in one corner of Central Asia for a tendency to dislike the West in the Middle East.

Seems like you're lumping together everyone who's Muslim, but they are different.

Ok, so maybe it's over simplification, but it's definitely a reason, if not the reason.