• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why hate the USA?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: Why hate the USA?

Americans over XBOX Live are no better or worse than the English they come up against sometimes - all it takes is one person to kick off and it soon becomes a country-thing, not a "you suck at this game" thing. It's easier to rip someone you do not know and will never likely meet for their nationality than it is to make a deeply personal comment seeing as you know zip-all about them. As many Americans I have come across seem to be intently patriotic, what better way to stab at them than mock their country somehow?

J

Johnnycky94

Angel is excactly correst, i always bring up the revolution to you guys!:p

S

Solus

Angel;192490 said:
I still don't really understand the whole Iraq thing - I really don't. I'm not sure whether this war has lost sight of its original purpose...if indeed there was one....

I agree, I don't know what is going on now myself. At first, it was to stop terrorists, then to free Iraq, and now i'm just not sure.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Johnnycky94;192497 said:
Angel is excactly correst, i always bring up the revolution to you guys!:p
Yeah, usually it seems to start with one side or another telling one person in the opposing team to shut the **** up and then before you know it, everything is being bandied around from obesity to accents to wars to empires. It's just one big pointless ****ing contest, in my view. But people get very uptight about it all the same...

J

Johnnycky94

Yea its true, just national pride kicks in. Sad but sometimes it funny

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Johnnycky94;192518 said:
Yea its true, just national pride kicks in. Sad but sometimes it funny
I believe it`s mainly caused by one team winning or a player having a bad day and then getting his/her ass kicked by others, while he/she wanted to live out the stressful day in a console game.
Hopelessly losing can be quite frustrating to some, believe me, I know.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Perhaps because I have little pride in my own country I fail to fully get the whole allegiance to the flag type stuff...

Hell, over here if someone started pledging anything to the St George Cross they'd probably be done for citing racial hatred or some other retarded charge :lol:

moonfever

Premium
Reaction score

Angel;192515 said:
Yeah, usually it seems to start with one side or another telling one person in the opposing team to shut the **** up and then before you know it, everything is being bandied around from obesity to accents to wars to empires. It's just one big pointless ****ing contest, in my view. But people get very uptight about it all the same...
Don't feel alone, I don't know why we're still there, myself.:unsure: I am Patriotic, until all reasoning goes out the window, and I loose sight on what this all is about. It started out one thing, and that was proven false.
Every country has their own feelings, the way they are brought up, and we can't change any of that. The way we think and feel about things, could be totally different in other countries. Their religions, lifestyles, are so totally different, we can't change the world.:wacko:

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I think also people view the more western countries as fair game - slag off someone from the third world (and I'm going bigger than XBL before someone wisecracks that not many in the Luweero Triangle have XBOX 360s) and you are going to be shouted down to some degree. Lay into the Iraqis (yes, I know - not western) and that's somehow ok because they are all trying to murder us anyway :rolleyes: - rail a Brit or American and it's no big deal because in our heads we see them as an acceptable target - they can hold their own, they have no major catastrophic issues which would be insensitive to bring up (apart from 9/11 or Katrina etc). They are not struggling to survive on a daily basis and they give off the impression they can cope with it all.

Easier for a former world bully to have a crack at the new world bully than try to stamp on another nation that could lead to more dire consequences...

moonfever

Premium
Reaction score

Exactly, Angel, and that's what I'm so afraid of. That there has to be a point, where this just stops, and lets the world heal. We all need healing.:unsure:

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

But, why not hate USA. Some people have to hate something and since USA is the main target these days, it`s the easiest choice. Some people probably don`t give a crap of what the US is doing, but it`s important to show themselves as "educated" or "good at politics" in front of friends.
Don`t know, it just came into my mind, might be false though.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

It's something of a pack mentality sometimes - there's some truth in it, some politics but most of it is prejudice born of ignorance and sparked by similar notions coming from those living in country in question.

If your mates are slagging off the Americans, you'd better join in, fit in or get out. Seems to be how it works with many these days. Challenge them on the finer points of their politics and they don't really know what to say other than belabour the point of Iraq or whatever George Bush said/did last week...then eventually all you get is the stubborn reply of "I hate America" with no real substance to that claim.

moonfever

Premium
Reaction score

Johnnycky94;192566 said:
I love america

As do I, and that's why this all hurts.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

No offense to anyone here, or America but some people feel that the general American attitude ("Greatest Country in the world, why shouldn't they like us?") is quite arrogant.

I personally think that attitude is hilarious.

moonfever

Premium
Reaction score

droded;192629 said:
No offense to anyone here, or America but some people feel that the general American attitude ("Greatest Country in the world, why shouldn't they like us?") is quite arrogant.

That's really mean. I think it's more that, we are expected to like everyone else, and to care, and we expect that others feel the same. It's a little confusing when that doesn't happen. I've lived in Germany, and in Africa, and found them both beautiful in their own ways, even though I felt lost. But I certainly don't sit around and think I'm any better than anyone else. It just doesn't occur to me. Most of the people I know are the same way. I guess you must talk to the wrong people, to get that impression.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

well, im an american, and i dont hate america, but im not too fond of it either. this contry is only 200 years old and for some reason we feel that our contry has to baby sit all the rest of the world. well i got news for ya, other contrys can take care of themselves without us forcing out ways down their throuts. there are also some other reasons that i dont really aprove of what we are doing, like this "war on terror" ****. apperently we are at war, but here at home life goes on as usual. and we claim to be helping out the people in iraq and those other places, but the people there dont even want us there. they do not want our help. and their society is very different from ours and is strongly based on their religious beliefs, and the majority of them do not want democracy. and besides, they are on the other side of the world in a whole separat conty form ours, so **** em. just leave them the **** alone. if this is a war on the terrorists, lets just go over there, track em down, and kill them. and leave their government alone. we fought and gained our freedom, we are perfectly capable of running our contry, and so are they. just because they are foren, that does not make them less inteligent. america needs to stop playing baby sitter for the rest of the world. and stop reffering to it as the best contry in the world, that is an opion, not a fact. i dont think its really possible to name any one contry as "the best". basicly, america just needs to leave everyone else alone and take care of ourselfs, and everyone else can take care of themself aswell. also, look at all the damage that we have done to this once beautiful land that we inherited, well actually we stole it from the mexicans and the natives, but hey, it was nice when we stole it.

droded;192629 said:

i totally agree with that. we are mostly hated because we are so arrogant. and nobody likes an arrogant person. we are not special, we are just another country, and we need to tone it down a lot and leave everyone else alone. countrys can take care of themselfs.

J

Johnnycky94

TJ Griffin;192642 said:
i totally agree with that. we are mostly hated because we are so arrogant. and nobody likes an arrogant person. we are not special, we are just another country, and we need to tone it down a lot and leave everyone else alone. countrys can take care of themselfs.

Yea your actually right buddy we do, Im sorry, but you ahve to realize we "Were" the greatest country who everyone looked up to. But our government is currupt, worst then anyother country that is democratic. Its sad whe are more communism then anything. The people dont own this country, Corporate businesses do. Its sad it is like the book1984, they should le the public know what they are up to and what happens, it should be our right to know what our govenment does.

The people shouldnt fear their govenment, the govenment should fear the people- V for Vendetta

Greatest quote, we are being pushed around, do you really think they cant stop the drug use??? They can, but they dont want to bc it keeps our minds off of what is really happening. I love this country but we need the people to run it, the heart and soul of amaerica, not some corporate business that only in it for the money and what they want, not WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT.

I love this country , we need a shange not from a politician! but from the people.

S

SilentFilmStar

I personally think this country is going to crap.
We are in the middle of a recession right now AND "helping" Iraq. I think we should stop focusing on other countries and focus on fixing ours. I mean hell America has a debt of $53 trillion, America has been in nation debt since the 50's. Bush says we are in Iraq to help and "stop terr" but he is really just finishing what his dad started. He is only after the oil.

Its hard for Americans to not look stupid with a leader such as Bush. I would personally like to live in England more then America. I can't stand our "government". Today, it seems, that everyone is living just to be in debt. Student loan annual interests are so high it takes 15 years just to pay off your loans. Want to get married and buy a house? You just paid off your student loans and feeling good, now you have to get a loan to buy a house... Most people don't pay off their houses these days. It's mostly getting a loan, buying a house and making payments, then you move and sell your house, put a down payment on a house, pay off some more of your loan and then buy your new house. Its an ongoing process, unless you want a small house that you can pay off in about... 5 years.

This country is all about credit, if your credit is bad you're screwed for life.