• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just Me Or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Just Me Or...

I like the idea of removing the clutter from the screen except for the map- I really dont want to be relying on AI, nomatter how advanced, to be telling me to where.

"I never hated the idea of the dog, I think that its quite cool and weill be a great addition to fable however I still strongly belive it was a lame mega surprise thingy mecbober..."

Best line evar! It pretty much sums up the what I think, with the exception of having doubts about how reliable the dog actually will be. Im not against the dog, just the fact that it was the big surprise.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

I agree with the weird kid... About the AI part.:)

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

See the absence of HUD is going to prove difficult for me and other hopeless gamers - but it does allow for less distractions on-screen.

Having watched the footage of the dog, I am very very impressed and looking forward to seeing how much more they develop this concept. I especially liked the bit where PM talked about the testers trying to throw the dog's toy over cliffs...so now the dog has some kind of self-preservation intelligence.

I also liked how when the dog was beaten up by hobbes, it limped after the hero as he ran off and PM said how you could be in a pub an hour later, there's a scratching at the door and in limps your wounded (and now abandoned) companion - branding you a nasty piece of work. I actually prefer this to the whole kid thing - and the fact that they are trying to keep things so that younger audiences can enjoy the game like with Fable and Fable The Lost Chapters is actually brilliant.

This is not as much of a let down as people are worried about, really - the amount of effort and attention to detail that has gone into creating a true-to-life animated portrayal of a dog is astonishing, when you really consider it, and I think it is vastly underestimated how hard they have been working to achieve what outwardly may look to some like a simple thing not really worth waiting for.

They have a team of Dog Psychologists, for goodness' sakes! I didn't even know dogs needed shrinks! :lol:

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Angel;66498 said:
See the absence of HUD is going to prove difficult for me and other hopeless gamers - but it does allow for less distractions on-screen.
I think it will be easier for you Angel. All you have to do is follow the dog and learn take cues from it's behavior. On the surface

Sephiroxas;66170 said:
Peter even said himself "If I told you what the secret was, you'd think it's stupid" so he did warn everybody.

Exactly what I was thinking :D

Albion Knight;66027 said:
...Then I remembered what he said in earlier interviews "If I told you what it was you would say 'That is Stupid' but if I showed you it you would understand"
Talk about being bang on.

Varc;66258 said:
I can't remember the quote exactly, however in one of the video's on gamespot.com he said that this was only the first of 3 surprises. So for those disappointed with the announcement of the dog, just think, the other two could be ten times more exciting.

Albion Knight;66442 said:
Oh he said in a video what the other two things are one is having a baby and the other is how people react to you.

droded;66309 said:
I reckon you should be able to go hunting, with your dawg and all..

Cool Idea droded
Anirep.GIF

Varc;66311 said:
I wouldn't doubt it, Molyneux did say that you wouldn't have to feed your dog, it was able to get its own food. "He's a lot better a catching a rabit than you are." I think is what he said.
Do you have a link. MUST HAVE INPUT :p
penarow;66319 said:
i personally like the idea of a dog, even though i already knew about it like the rest of you. i think it would be pretty cool if you could pick different types of animals though. what do you think?

Welcome penarow,

Check out Oakvale Town Square and maybe make an introduction thread :D
It would be cool but realisticaly unfeasable maybe as an expansion pack.

J

Jester.

weirdkidinabox;66479 said:
I like the idea of removing the clutter from the screen except for the map- I really dont want to be relying on AI, nomatter how advanced, to be telling me to where.

"I never hated the idea of the dog, I think that its quite cool and weill be a great addition to fable however I still strongly belive it was a lame mega surprise thingy mecbober..."

Best line evar! It pretty much sums up the what I think, with the exception of having doubts about how reliable the dog actually will be. Im not against the dog, just the fact that it was the big surprise.

heh thanks I think after watching the video i like the idea of the dog better however i still find it a lame mega surprise thingy mecbober and about the whole if he told us we'ed think its stupid statement.
I was exspecting more of a " he must be stupid theres no way that can be done! zomg!!!1" not a "wow thats pretty damn stupid" (as a meg surprise thingy mecbober) I find it a fine concept just not the surprise i was hopping for is all

V

Varc

AK, I believe he said he rabbit hunting thing in the newest half hour video. If I remember correctly it was in response to a question.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Varc;66816 said:
AK, I believe he said he rabbit hunting thing in the newest half hour video. If I remember correctly it was in response to a question.
If you mean the one all about the dog and ends with a view of Bowerstone I didn't hear him say that.

J

Jester.

yeah that one hes anserwing a question i belive

D

dark_hart

weirdkidinabox;65984 said:
Is it just me or is anybody else beginning to understand why people totally hate Molyneux? In fact right now the guy deserves the death penalty.

This huge feature, never before seen, set to get released at the GDC... we wait and wait and wait and get teased... info slips and was then posted here on projectego by myself- only to be removed moments later by a a press embargo and a swift email from lionhead studios. The big details finally emerge- this monumenouts feature, this fantastic thing.

And its a ****ing dog. Not just a dog, but the dog. The ****ing dog which we knew about months ago- which everybody knew about months ago. This isnt big news. This is bull****. I see nothing special about- I have a pet on World of Warcraft and the bloody thing is only good for taking aggro. Yeah Molyneuxs is a HUD but I would bet money the thing is an annoying PoS. Id rather be flicking back and forth from a map every five minutes to find my way than rely on a dog controlled by AI- no matter how advanced the fact remains- it is still artificial.

Anybody else at the verge of launching a severely childish temper tantrum at Molyneuxs huge let down and pathetic excuse for an announcement?

--The main reason why this annoys me so much is not the dog itself, but the fact the announcement was touted as revealing a groundbreaking feature, which it didnt do. We knew about the dog and that it was going to some important purpose within the game. The announcement is something which I find to be, nothing close to groundbreaking.

I have already said this but Ill include here as well;
Even if the announcement had been something we hadnt known about being included in the new game I wouldnt have been as annoyed at it all. Its just the entire idea that I waited and waited only to find out that it is the dog, which I knew about for months.

lol chill down...

your the one who probaly gave PM the death threat:(

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

dark_hart;67033 said:
lol chill down...

your the one who probaly gave PM the death threat:(
He's chilled by now as that was a few days ago. Let's not start this all over again ;)

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

So Ive spent the past while skimming videos and stuff to do with this mutt....

One thing I want to know: Did it really clear off behind a tree to take a **** because thats gonna be funny as hell...

Seriously though, if this dog cant die, and I bail off and leave it roaming around for days on end, injured, how hilarious is it going to be when I come barrelling down a road with about eight hobbes and a troll after me and to see the dogs eye light up as it trys to get close to me just before I dart past it and leave the damn thing to get royally owned by whatever the hell was chasing me.

I see promise here, despite the huge let down of an announcement I actually see something decent about it.

Technically the dog is an automated context sensitive device thingy then- depending on the context which my character appears to be about to attack in the dog will alter what its going to do. Just a problem here possibly; If I draw my gun to try and aim at a single melee enemey in the distance and I dont want the dog to do anything what happens then? My gun is still drawn so my dog is going to go for what is ultimately a threat to me, the only enemey is the Im aiming at which is obviously the threat so the dog will try to go for it...

And also; I highly doubt I am going to love throwing a ball for a dog for hours on end or consider it something I must show my new girlfriend- maybe in real life I would throw a ball to my dog but I dont want to do that crap in a game- and if I did, I would steal my little sisters copy of Nintendogs.

Flaws ahoy... yes... interesting idea... very....

Oh and also the emote thing that changes- does that mean if your having sex you can use the yes emote once- and then a second time and it will get more passionate... and a third time it will sound like youve just.... well you know what I mean....
o_O

--------------------------------------

Second Post Automerged:

My god, I voice my opinion, go a little OTT and now apparently Im the guy who sent PM death threats. This is just getting ridiculous.

Yeesh, if I did have any kind of life outside of WoW I would probably use that time trying to trick some poor lady into being my sex slave or something.... I would say thats a more worthwhile endevour of my time than threating Peter Molyneux, wouldnt you agree?

o_O

Now: EITHER TALK ABOUT THE DAMN DOG AND STOP WHINGING ABOUT ME AND MY CHILDISH TANTRUMS OR DONT POST!

D

dark_hart

weirdkidinabox;67043 said:
So Ive spent the past while skimming videos and stuff to do with this mutt....

One thing I want to know: Did it really clear off behind a tree to take a **** because thats gonna be funny as hell...

Seriously though, if this dog cant die, and I bail off and leave it roaming around for days on end, injured, how hilarious is it going to be when I come barrelling down a road with about eight hobbes and a troll after me and to see the dogs eye light up as it trys to get close to me just before I dart past it and leave the damn thing to get royally owned by whatever the hell was chasing me.

I see promise here, despite the huge let down of an announcement I actually see something decent about it.

Technically the dog is an automated context sensitive device thingy then- depending on the context which my character appears to be about to attack in the dog will alter what its going to do. Just a problem here possibly; If I draw my gun to try and aim at a single melee enemey in the distance and I dont want the dog to do anything what happens then? My gun is still drawn so my dog is going to go for what is ultimately a threat to me, the only enemey is the Im aiming at which is obviously the threat so the dog will try to go for it...

And also; I highly doubt I am going to love throwing a ball for a dog for hours on end or consider it something I must show my new girlfriend- maybe in real life I would throw a ball to my dog but I dont want to do that crap in a game- and if I did, I would steal my little sisters copy of Nintendogs.

Flaws ahoy... yes... interesting idea... very....

Oh and also the emote thing that changes- does that mean if your having sex you can use the yes emote once- and then a second time and it will get more passionate... and a third time it will sound like youve just.... well you know what I mean....
o_O

--------------------------------------

Second Post Automerged:

My god, I voice my opinion, go a little OTT and now apparently Im the guy who sent PM death threats. This is just getting ridiculous.

Yeesh, if I did have any kind of life outside of WoW I would probably use that time trying to trick some poor lady into being my sex slave or something.... I would say thats a more worthwhile endevour of my time than threating Peter Molyneux, wouldnt you agree?

o_O

Now: EITHER TALK ABOUT THE DAMN DOG AND STOP WHINGING ABOUT ME AND MY CHILDISH TANTRUMS OR DONT POST!

eh...ok then^_^

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

OK let's get back on topic here please.
On topic I'm going to wait until I play the game and see the dog

D

dark_hart

Jester.;67071 said:
Dark hat you got owned

one more thing albion knight thats off topic

jester...im not a dark hat...hats are for pansys. im a dark hart gawd.

and no I didn't get owned on anything.

I think the dog will work out I just thought when peter said something super secret it was gona be huge. a dog doesn't really change much of the gaming generation.

and I remember that the rest of lionhead didn't want to deal with it.

what the hell how is a dog or HUD hard to work with?

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Well apparently its only part of the HUD- I think the way it works is that the dog scouts ahead of you, as it showed in the video, but what happens when it reaches a fork in the road, will it wait for you to choose a path? If you have travelled the land before or you want to go a specific area how do you tell the dog where you want to go so it can direct you there? One could almost think that the user is being forced onto a certain path throughout the game by having to navigate using the dog.

Does it actually learn though?

I find it ironic that Molyneux said he didnt want the dog to feel like a robot or a machine, he wanted you to really feel like you have a dog- but you dont have to feed it or look after it at all and it doesnt **** you off... now seriously... I have three dogs and I have to feed them, occassionaly take them to get groomed, they frequently **** me off, they chase cars and they take a lot of looking after. So technically if he wanted to create the effect of a real dog, as he said he did, then he failed in that respect. All these kids growing up playing Fable 2.... then buying a dog of their own and expecting it to direct them to school or the local store, look out for them... and then not feeding it so it dies. Poor dogs.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

weirdkidinabox;67108 said:
All these kids growing up playing Fable 2.... then buying a dog of their own and expecting it to direct them to school or the local store, look out for them... and then not feeding it so it dies. Poor dogs.
That actually made me laugh...shouldn't have done, but it did. See, I can actually see that happening with some people I know :lol:

It's almost like we have what is effectively a guide dog, even though we're not blind in the game. They're pretty much like robots...

D

dark_hart

weirdkidinabox;67108 said:
Well apparently its only part of the HUD- I think the way it works is that the dog scouts ahead of you, as it showed in the video, but what happens when it reaches a fork in the road, will it wait for you to choose a path? If you have travelled the land before or you want to go a specific area how do you tell the dog where you want to go so it can direct you there? One could almost think that the user is being forced onto a certain path throughout the game by having to navigate using the dog.

Does it actually learn though?

I find it ironic that Molyneux said he didnt want the dog to feel like a robot or a machine, he wanted you to really feel like you have a dog- but you dont have to feed it or look after it at all and it doesnt **** you off... now seriously... I have three dogs and I have to feed them, occassionaly take them to get groomed, they frequently **** me off, they chase cars and they take a lot of looking after. So technically if he wanted to create the effect of a real dog, as he said he did, then he failed in that respect. All these kids growing up playing Fable 2.... then buying a dog of their own and expecting it to direct them to school or the local store, look out for them... and then not feeding it so it dies. Poor dogs.

if its in "a fork in the road" maybe it will just go ahead for the direction for you, maybe barking at one direction....I really hope it works out:(

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

Considering my own dogs, if I had to feed and take care of the Fable 2 dog to any sort of uber-realistic degree I would start sending Peter death threats. And so would my dogs. And my cats. And the squirrels. THINK ABOUT THE SQUIRRELS!

Status
Not open for further replies.