• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mosque over Ground Zero

Fenrir

Resident Profanitarian
Reaction score
Re: Mosque over Ground Zero

DarkenedSoul;418292 said:
Really? I've never read anything about muslims thinking it's a genuine victory, got any proof?

How about all those tapes from Al Quida? I already told you I make a distinction between peaceful and extremist muslims.

Shadowtree

Winner of Lil'Miss Zerg 2010
Reaction score

DarkenedSoul;418299 said:
Isn't that like Nazi Terrorists calling the holocaust a victory due to so many Jew and other minorities dying? Of course the group causing the trouble are going to claim it's a victory, but the muslim terrorists are a small minority among muslims - it's not fair to cast out all muslims from having their worship based on such a small minority.

Mind you, I don't approve of organized religion altogether - especially when such a large sum of money is involved.
Yes it is. And I have no problem with allowing Islam. But its also not fair to build it there to rub dirt in the faces of victims' families/friends. Or to encourage futher attacks. After all just because there are a few extremists dosent mean they arent a threat. The whole idea of this argument is because they ARE a threat and proved so on 9/11. To the extremists, this mosque is a symbol of their growing power.

Fenrir

Resident Profanitarian
Reaction score

^ Thank you.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

...are you serious?...I didn't know ignorance was so contagious.

Oh wait...yeah, I did nevermind.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

this is the first i'm hearing of it.

religious implications aside. the building holds more significance to the city than a giant mosque would. there is no reason that they should need to have it at that specific location, nor push for it to be there unless it were to cause controversy among people who would take offense to it. it's not jerusalem, there is no religious significance to any part of new york city, they should be able to build it somewhere else if it's causing such a ****ing fuss. personally i don't care either way. it's not like just because there's a mosque that all of a sudden Al Qaeda is going to set up a base of operations there. it's just a place of worship.

if everyone's going to make such a big deal over it, then they can build it over some other 150 year old building. new york has more than enough of those. if people can start getting over what happened 9 years ago, then let them build.

EDIT: oh wow! it's not even a ****ing mosque. really now? i probably should have gone and done some backup research before applying, but who cares if they just want to build a community center. hell, let them build 8 of 'em!

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score

I think the majority know that the terrorism act was done by radicals, and that not all muslims are bad. But the fact the terrorism act was done in the name of Islam and has been done in the name of it in the past, present and most likely future, so whether or not the people building it are terrorists or not, it's still in worship of a religious name that has been used to kill innocents for hundreds of years - that goes for pretty much any religion.

As for the location, I don't even know if anybody knows the true location cause each site and each person I've heard tell the story is always something different. "Right on it. Right next to it. Two blocks away. Four blocks away." Changes all the time!

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

Sean;418324 said:
But the fact the terrorism act was done in the name of Islam and has been done in the name of it in the past, present and most likely future, so whether or not the people building it are terrorists or not, it's still in worship of a religious name that has been used to kill innocents for hundreds of years - that goes for pretty much any religion.

That's the worse Faulty Analogy I've ever heard, (An argument that two things that are alike in some respects must be alike in other respects) as well as a Slippery Slope (Assuming that an action will lead to an unwanted outcome as the result of many or a few small steps that will inevitably follow).

They are a different group of Muslims. Those terrorists use Islam's name in vain, just like everyone else uses the Lord's name in vain every day. Just because a few people who believed in Islam and killed hundreds of thousands of people doesn't mean that every Muslim believes the same thing. You're right, people have killed people in the name of all different kinds of religions, and they still have churches and temples, etc. etc. but that doesn't give you or anyone else the right to provoke their right to practice religion where they want. Regardless of size and cost, it's their ethical and moral right to do so. You proved absolutely nothing by your argument, as is everyone else who opposes this notion.

It's one thing to say that you don't like it because it's religion, it's quite another to say it's because of who they believe in. And don't say that I'm using fallacies too because you thinking they can't do something due to their religion is, indeed, discrimination.

It's too bad to see how discriminatory some people are on this site.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

ssjcb1186;418357 said:
That's the worse Faulty Analogy I've ever heard, (An argument that two things that are alike in some respects must be alike in other respects) as well as a Slippery Slope (Assuming that an action will lead to an unwanted outcome as the result of many or a few small steps that will inevitably follow).

It's too bad to see how discriminatory some people are on this site.

A: Not to say Sean is the smartest person here, but I am quite sure he doesn't need the definition posted next to those words.

B: very few if any people here are discriminatory, in fact, I only recently had a disposition for Hispanics, but then I came to my senses and realized that it was the Mexican gang that cut my friend open, not the whole race. Same deal with Muslims in this conversation, but there is a difference.

That said, I still stand that the Mosque is fine.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hey, I don't want to get tangled up in this incredibly fun argument myself, so I'll let somebody else do it for me.

Since I just skimmed through rather than reading the whole thing and getting ****ed off and really getting into the argument with everyone, I will address one thing I glimpsed. Sean, I believe, said that the majority of New Yawkers disapprove of building this thing. Here's some statistics. A ton of Americans, depressingly, disapprove, at 68%. 53% of New Yorkers disapprove. Only 31% of people who live in Manhattan-- y'know, right where the towers were, and where they're putting their snazzy new community center-- disapprove. Which is still a lot, but marginally increases my faith in humanity.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

1. Its not a Mosque. Its a cultural center, it will have a Mosque in it however. A pool too.
2. Its not at Ground Zero, its a few blocks away. There is a strip club much closer to Ground Zero.
3. Its replacing a Burlington Coat Factory.
4. Islam had nothing to do with 9/11. Although the perpetrators of it may claim to be Muslim, Islam's teachings thoroughly condemn what they did.
5. Freedom of religion.

I say build it.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

Thank you. Maybe the ignorance will stop...as I will.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Necromancer11;418071 said:
Ground Zero should stay the way it is. They shouldn't build anything there. Just make the mosque smaller and move it somewhere else in the city.

I think you win a free internet.

And of course I don't realize another 2 freaking pages, my bad.

So it is a few blocks away? Then who gives a ****?

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Considering it's illegal for the city to stop it from happening, I think it should go ahead.

That being said, would it be any different if was a Synagogue? Or a Stupa? Of course it would.

Of course, if the Mosque does end up being built, then the fundies will claim it as a victory.

So in summary: **** America and it's angry rednecks, and **** the Middle East and their angry fundies.

Shadowtree

Winner of Lil'Miss Zerg 2010
Reaction score

Arseface;419642 said:
Considering it's illegal for the city to stop it from happening, I think it should go ahead.

That being said, would it be any different if was a Synagogue? Or a Stupa? Of course it would.

Of course, if the Mosque does end up being built, then the fundies will claim it as a victory.

So in summary: **** America and it's angry rednecks, and **** the Middle East and their angry fundies.

Look, if you ask me, I dont think they should build ANYTHING religious there.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arseface;419642 said:

Duh.

Um, what? The whole stupid BS political attention-grab is based on the fact that the place is Muslim and Muslims carried out the attack. I could see people screaming over a stupa, though. Definitely over a gurdwara. They aren't picky. AAAAH! Brownish skin and a turban!!!! EVIL MUSLIM!!!

What? No, that would be a loss from their prospective.

In response: **** Australia and their angry rednecks. I realize that there's probably a better term, but I've read enough miscellaneous things on the internet about Aussie redneckism to know that the term applies.

Shadowtree;419646 said:
Look, if you ask me, I dont think they should build ANYTHING religious there.

Where, Manhattan?

I didn't want to argue this, but in the course of finding info, I came across a... very smart person talking about Japan and Hindu temples and Pearl Harbor in a completely balls-out brilliant kind of way. In response, I wanted to point out that there is a Japanese Cultural Center (like this is a Muslim cultural center) in Hololulu, less than eight miles from Hickam Field; as well as several Buddhist and Shinto places of worship in the area. Roughly 13% of that state is Japanese-American.

Additionally, there was somebody using the same analogy from the other side, that the Japanese wouldn't let a Christian church be built near their ground zero. They rebuilt the destroyed Urakami/St Mary's Cathedral in 1959.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Walker;419654 said:
Um, what? The whole stupid BS political attention-grab is based on the fact that the place is Muslim and Muslims carried out the attack. I could see people screaming over a stupa, though. Definitely over a gurdwara. They aren't picky. AAAAH! Brownish skin and a turban!!!! EVIL MUSLIM!!!

I guess, but that just shows the level of ignorance at play.

Walker;419654 said:
What? No, that would be a loss from their prospective.

Historically, when Muslim armies conquered a new place, they would build mosques as a symbol of their victory.

Walker;419654 said:
In response: **** Australia and their angry rednecks. I realize that there's probably a better term, but I've read enough miscellaneous things on the internet about Aussie redneckism to know that the term applies.

We call them bogans.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Darkblossom, you don't understand anything that happens in the world, do you?

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

darkblossom;419702 said:
tbh is it me or are mulisms want everything in this world i live in the uk where we want the burka banned the muslim hated wearing it but intend to keep it on while we cant go into a shop with a hoodie or hat or helment where the burka you cant see **** but building mosques in different countrys? kinda thought they would stay in they own countryi hope new york does not let this happen whats the point of a big moquse what happens when its bombed or tourched to the ground . by reading my comment you find it is not racist or hate but im just expressing my right to speech and i know its a huge ass comment
Never make a religious post again.

darkblossom

rukia kuchiki
Reaction score

Arseface;419720 said:
Darkblossom, you don't understand anything that happens in the world, do you?

what you mean i dont remeber posting unless my friend been on my acc