• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Smoking Banned?

X

xboxps2man

Re: Smoking Banned?

its all tax, a pack is 3 cents to make the rest is tax (smoking is evil)

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Well, yea smoking is bad. It is a good thing. I just feel like the goverment is trying to take over are lives little by little.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

The privacy of your own home is and should remain your business - unless you are engaging in illegal and dangerous activity - so if you want to eat half a tonne of crap and smoke yourself blind then go ahead.

I think one major difference is that in the UK the powers that be do not allow many of the things Americans, for example, are allowed to have - such as certain additives, chemicals and drugs. I think it's either we are more strict or just paranoid - can't figure out which :D So maybe Americans have more that is bad for them which needs banning...hence the over zelaous behaviour?

Yes, we should be exercising self-control and unfortunately, many people do not - myself included. It's one good reason I don't keep certain items in the house, like alcohol and chocolate - simply because I will consume the lot in one sitting. I'm not saying the Governement should be in total control but as our guardians, if you like, there is an element of responsiblity which lies with them to ensure the health of the nation.

There is an extensive programme going ahead to make sure that schools and parents are teaching kids about good and bad eating habits, for example. When I was at school, we had vending machines in every available space and nothing but burgers and chips on the menu in the canteen - for 1200 hormonally-charged females, that was a red rag...the queues to eat crap stretched the whole length of each corridor that these machines were stationed in. If kids are taught decent habits both at school and at home, with less opportunity to access junk food within schools, then the chances are they will exercise a better degree of self control as they get older.

I see nothing wrong with promoting healthy living - if the entire country banned all "nice" foods, then there would be a problem - that would be going too far the other way. Whilst there is a certain amount of encouragment towards eating the right foods, the UK has yet to ban the import and selling of the "wrong" foods - I don't know the score in other countries though.

Not everyone is clued up on what is and isn't good for them and as kids are the most impressionable, I guess it would make sense to start with them.

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Angel;142904 said:
The privacy of your own home is and should remain your business - unless you are engaging in illegal and dangerous activity - so if you want to eat half a tonne of crap and smoke yourself blind then go ahead.

I think one major difference is that in the UK the powers that be do not allow many of the things Americans, for example, are allowed to have - such as certain additives, chemicals and drugs. I think it's either we are more strict or just paranoid - can't figure out which :D So maybe Americans have more that is bad for them which needs banning...hence the over zelaous behaviour?

Yes, we should be exercising self-control and unfortunately, many people do not - myself included. It's one good reason I don't keep certain items in the house, like alcohol and chocolate - simply because I will consume the lot in one sitting. I'm not saying the Governement should be in total control but as our guardians, if you like, there is an element of responsiblity which lies with them to ensure the health of the nation.

There is an extensive programme going ahead to make sure that schools and parents are teaching kids about good and bad eating habits, for example. When I was at school, we had vending machines in every available space and nothing but burgers and chips on the menu in the canteen - for 1200 hormonally-charged females, that was a red rag...the queues to eat crap stretched the whole length of each corridor that these machines were stationed in. If kids are taught decent habits both at school and at home, with less opportunity to access junk food within schools, then the chances are they will exercise a better degree of self control as they get older.

I see nothing wrong with promoting healthy living - if the entire country banned all "nice" foods, then there would be a problem - that would be going too far the other way. Whilst there is a certain amount of encouragment towards eating the right foods, the UK has yet to ban the import and selling of the "wrong" foods - I don't know the score in other countries though.

Not everyone is clued up on what is and isn't good for them and as kids are the most impressionable, I guess it would make sense to start with them.

What are things you guys at UK are not suppose to have?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Off the top of my head I couldn't tell you - and things may have since changed in the last couple of years - but on the whole, the FSA is quicker to rule out and ban certain things from foods which the FDA takes longer over. For example, the benzene found in soft drinks which caused a row a while ago - it had been banned by the FSA but the FDA took a long time to class it as a recognised carcinogen.

I remember about two years ago having a dessert imported from the US and there was a list as long as your arm on the back with all the additives and colourings included. The EU has only about 320-odd approved additives and any approved colourings must have an E placed before the number to show they are allowed.

F

FableFreak

We sure enjoy our benotine-triphosphate and Red #5 coloring over here in the US. Them additives make you big and strong... And deformed at birth.

H

Hexadecimal

well, all I know is that here we are allowed to smoke in public, just not indoors, but we aren't allowed to eat trans fats because the government hates fat people...
simply because people with no self control are a drain on the health system does not mean I shouldn't be able to have a twinkie every now and then...
this whole jump back to prohibition just plain freaks me out :noexpression:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;142851 said:
anti smoking laws are retarded... pure and simple...

a democratic government should not be telling it's citizens what is good for them... the whole point of democracy is that we the people command the government, not the other way around, but they seem to have lost sight of that and wish to be our parents...
here, they have even passed a law outlawing trans fats by next year... can't even have a fatty snack anymore :hmm:

so retarded :noexpression:

I disagree here. My view isn't that it's telling them what's good for them, it's telling them that everyone who doesn't smoke doesn't want to smell that noxious crap while they're walking down the street, or eating in their favorite restaurant, or killing their liver with booze. It's just plain unpleasant to smell. In my case, for instance-- it really does make me feel sick when I smell cigarrette smoke. Or cigar smoke for that matter. Or the pot my classmates smoke in the bathroom.

Fatty snacks, on the other hand, don't make other people nauseous or revolted when you eat them. Well, unless you just shoved a dozen twinkies in your mouth and are now chewing with your mouth open while spewing spittle and crumbs all over yourself and other pedestrians. Which would be something no one or a very few people would do, whereas with cigarrettes everyone smells every smoker in the vicinity. The fats one is dumb, though.

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;142970 said:
I disagree here. My view isn't that it's telling them what's good for them, it's telling them that everyone who doesn't smoke doesn't want to smell that noxious crap while they're walking down the street, or eating in their favorite restaurant, or killing their liver with booze. It's just plain unpleasant to smell. In my case, for instance-- it really does make me feel sick when I smell cigarrette smoke. Or cigar smoke for that matter. Or the pot my classmates smoke in the bathroom.

Fatty snacks, on the other hand, don't make other people nauseous or revolted when you eat them. Well, unless you just shoved a dozen twinkies in your mouth and are now chewing with your mouth open while spewing spittle and crumbs all over yourself and other pedestrians. Which would be something no one or a very few people would do, whereas with cigarrettes everyone smells every smoker in the vicinity. The fats one is dumb, though.

I believe you misinterpreted me entirely, so I'll reiterate ;)
I was not speaking about non-smoking laws at all, those are the laws that tell you where you can smoke, such as in bars and restaurants, etc..
I said that I don't like anti-smoking laws, the ones that have you lose your job or go to prison if you're caught smoking at home on your lunchbreak...
one is a matter of public health, the other is a matter of personal liberty
it's rather different ;)

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

And it is not like we are children they are parents trying to help us save are self! At the end of the day, they are people too!

Amanda

I'M DE WEEEEINER!
Reaction score

They're pretty strict in New York. No smoking in any bars, restaurants, etc. which is fine by me.

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Amanda;142994 said:
They're pretty strict in New York. No smoking in any bars, restaurants, etc. which is fine by me.

New York was one of the first cities to do that.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;142971 said:
I believe you misinterpreted me entirely, so I'll reiterate ;)
I was not speaking about non-smoking laws at all, those are the laws that tell you where you can smoke, such as in bars and restaurants, etc..
I said that I don't like anti-smoking laws, the ones that have you lose your job or go to prison if you're caught smoking at home on your lunchbreak...
one is a matter of public health, the other is a matter of personal liberty
it's rather different ;)

[scratches head] You see, that is an excellent dilemma. See, I work at a library, right? So I see lots of people rolling in there with their kids, or to pick up the latest People, or Harry Potter, or James Patterson or whatever. Now, some of them smoke. They aren't smoking IN the library. They aren't even (usually) smoking just outside the library doors or someting like that. But they're still accompanied by a stale and noxious odor of smoke-- which I and everyone else standing nearby have to smell.

So I really don't know. I wouldn't mind (okay, fine, I'd support) a complete ban on smoking, but enforcement would be kinda strange. Cigarettes have been accepted and/or tolerated for so long that sending someone to prison for smoking in the privacy of their own home has the taint of the absurd.

I just don't know...

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;143023 said:
[scratches head] You see, that is an excellent dilemma. See, I work at a library, right? So I see lots of people rolling in there with their kids, or to pick up the latest People, or Harry Potter, or James Patterson or whatever. Now, some of them smoke. They aren't smoking IN the library. They aren't even (usually) smoking just outside the library doors or someting like that. But they're still accompanied by a stale and noxious odor of smoke-- which I and everyone else standing nearby have to smell.

So I really don't know. I wouldn't mind (okay, fine, I'd support) a complete ban on smoking, but enforcement would be kinda strange. Cigarettes have been accepted and/or tolerated for so long that sending someone to prison for smoking in the privacy of their own home has the taint of the absurd.

I just don't know...

so you would support a system of laws that infringe upon people's liberties because they smell?
not a fan of democracy then?
what about people with general B.O.? people who don't shower, or wear too much cologne, or eat a lot of garlic, or work on farms, or sewage workers, or babies that do nothing but **** all day long... I suppose all of them should be locked away too, huh?
screw free society, so long as nobody smells and the status quo is never made to feel uncomfortable :w00t:

J

Justincblount

drugs can cause harm to others in that they are usually tied to crime and violence in some fashion... are you claiming that the same is true for cigarettes and chocolate bars?
If you make animal products illegal, meat and dairy will be tied to violence.. that's what happens when you make something illegal, it actually becomes more dangerous than it would've been.

H

Hexadecimal

Justincblount;143025 said:
If you make animal products illegal, meat and dairy will be tied to violence.. that's what happens when you make something illegal, it actually becomes more dangerous than it would've been.

I don't know the last time a person got behind the wheel and killed someone because meat and dairy had made them unable to drive safely :hmm:
I already said that trans fats are now illegal here and I already said that I was against prohibition... so are you agreeing with me?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;143024 said:
so you would support a system of laws that infringe upon people's liberties because they smell?
not a fan of democracy then?
what about people with general B.O.? people who don't shower, or wear too much cologne, or eat a lot of garlic, or work on farms, or sewage workers, or babies that do nothing but **** all day long... I suppose all of them should be locked away too, huh?
screw free society, so long as nobody smells and the status quo is never made to feel uncomfortable :w00t:

Excellent point. I vote we ban cologne, make showers mandatory, and eat babies. With garlic. See, if we all eat it we won't notice the smell.

But my problem is less that it reeks than that it reeks+aggravates my throat/sinuses/whatever. Most other noxious smells only turn your stomach.

(Edit: I'm also pretty sure our friend Justin up there was not, in fact, talking to you at all, but merely adding his two cents to the discussion.)

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;143027 said:
(Edit: I'm also pretty sure our friend Justin up there was not, in fact, talking to you at all, but merely adding his two cents to the discussion.)

ok... guess I assumed he was talking to me since he quoted what I said and replied to it..

as for banning cologne, in most workplaces that is banned here as well... it's pretty lame...
and I would be all for eating babies if they weren't so cocking gross :sick:

seriously, though, if everyone got to ban everything they didn't like, people would be left with nothing to do but sit quietly and pray for death... but then the athiests would ban that too...

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

2 people at the factory went on strike for a few mins in fornt of the factory. They gave up and quit. :lol:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;143028 said:
ok... guess I assumed he was talking to me since he quoted what I said and replied to it..

as for banning cologne, in most workplaces that is banned here as well... it's pretty lame...
and I would be all for eating babies if they weren't so cocking gross :sick:

seriously, though, if everyone got to ban everything they didn't like, people would be left with nothing to do but sit quietly and pray for death... but then the athiests would ban that too...

Huh. He did quote. Somehow I missed that. Probably because he forgot to put in a name. Okay, so maybe he was replying to you. My bad.

Hmmm... I don't know. Because there ARE health risks to secondhand smoke, too. Am I going to get lung caner because every couple of days a heavy smoker drops into the library to get some movies and leaves the stench hanging around? Probably not. But what if you work at the cubicle next to the guy, and every day you have the smoke wafting off his body over to you? I just don't know... I scientist I am not-- just a wannabe engineer/wannabe writer/possibly wannabe Coast Guard ossifer.

I don't really know about the BABIES being gross, but the garlic-- THAT's revolting. (Here,I'll even use a smiley: :sick:)