• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Smoking Banned?

H

Hexadecimal

Re: Smoking Banned?

Triz;144090 said:
smoking does way more damage than food.

not true...
if a person smokes every day for 20 years, they might end up getting cancer, or they might end up just fine... there are no guarantees with it...
if they eat like a gluttonous hog every day, they will become ill, they will get heart and circulatory problems, and they will die.
I'd say that's more damaging ;)

it's also actually a lot harder to quit than smoking, which is why there's such a rise in gastric bypass surgeries and the like...
smoking is less socially acceptable, so it's easier to quit, or to go places you can't smoke
but you can eat anywhere...
plus, you need to eat to live... you can quit smoking cold turkey, but not food... eating less requires self control and limitations, which these fatties just don't have

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;144099 said:
not true...
if a person smokes every day for 20 years, they might end up getting cancer, or they might end up just fine... there are no guarantees with it...
if they eat like a gluttonous hog every day, they will become ill, they will get heart and circulatory problems, and they will die.
I'd say that's more damaging ;)

it's also actually a lot harder to quit than smoking, which is why there's such a rise in gastric bypass surgeries and the like...
smoking is less socially acceptable, so it's easier to quit, or to go places you can't smoke
but you can eat anywhere...
plus, you need to eat to live... you can quit smoking cold turkey, but not food... eating less requires self control and limitations, which these fatties just don't have

... That made sense. My lost uncle had smoke all of his life and he had PERFECT blood.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;143989 said:
no, I would have rather you said "smell" ;)

and I'm not "essentially ignorant" on this subject, just because you are does not mean you can attribute that to everyone else... the fact that substances change when burned is just chemistry, of which I am not ignorant, and having run several harm reduction programs on the topics of smoking, alcohol and narcotics I am not ignorant from that angle either...

you can believe whatever you want, I don't really care :hmm:

So what was the meaning of "sense of smell?" up in that post? I'm confused. ([Looks back] Oh, I see, you were making a comment on my typo there. I didn't notice that.)

You're right-- I am essentially ignorant. You are "ignorant and/or un-specialized-in-this-stuff." Running a "harm reduction program" doesn't make you an expert any more than my reading half of everything I can makes me an expert on anything. All I was saying is that neither of us are experts on this, neither of us have any credentials, and neither of us were citing any sources. We're basically two people throwing whatever we remember from miscellaneous sources at each other.

So my point is-- I have lost interest in arguing, let's stop.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Endorphins - is that right Tsuyu? I tend to call them dolphins, which of course is completely nonsensical, but I believe the happy chemicals released are endorphins...something to do with serotonin too...not sure.

Probably hideously wrong :D

For the record I don't think it is entirely correct to say it is easier to give up smoking than overeating. Will power is a funny thing and it is possible to have it in one area and not in another - some may find it very easy to quit the cigarettes but a lot of people find it very difficult to give up compared to not eating that second cream slice or whatever.

Plus calling people "fatties" is quite insulting...there's no need for you to be so rude, Hexadecimal.

H

Hexadecimal

Walker;144188 said:
You're right-- I am essentially ignorant. You are "ignorant and/or un-specialized-in-this-stuff." Running a "harm reduction program" doesn't make you an expert any more than my reading half of everything I can makes me an expert on anything. All I was saying is that neither of us are experts on this, neither of us have any credentials, and neither of us were citing any sources. We're basically two people throwing whatever we remember from miscellaneous sources at each other.

So my point is-- I have lost interest in arguing, let's stop.

fine, I stopped arguing a while ago, as I said, I don't care what you choose to believe, I merely was stating that there is a difference between being ignorant, knowing something and being an expert
I never said I was an expert, but I am not ignorant, as to be ignorant is to know absolutely nothing, that's all I was saying :)

Angel;144224 said:
Plus calling people "fatties" is quite insulting...there's no need for you to be so rude, Hexadecimal.

I don't know who you thought it was directed towards but it wasn't aimed at anyone here
sorry if there was some confusion on that =]
and as far as I can see, it's no more rude to call someone a fattie then to call them a "chav", judging by the derogatory tone the word tends to take... and especially not as rude as saying I would like to run them over in my wheelchair...
but maybe that's just me ;)

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I think it is just you.

there are different connotations when calling someone a fattie - it's far more derogatory - people have been bullied for being overweight but not for listening to dodgy music or wearing tracksuits.

H

Hexadecimal

people haven't been bullied for the music they listen to?
... ok... whatever... I wont bother correcting you on that one...
at least I wasn't blaming "Indians" and Germans for forcing people to get cancer :lol:
but I'll just leave this thread then if that's what you're after, whatever

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;144231 said:
people haven't been bullied for the music they listen to?

... ok... whatever... I wont bother correcting you on that one...

Yeah id disagree with that too, ive had many friends been almost stabbed and glassed in the face just for being rock music fans. Ive also had abuse shouted at me by gangs of people just for wearing rock and metal style clothes. So i see what you mean there...

Fattie is quite polite compared to what some people id know would refer to them as too... :lol:

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

When did I insinuate I wanted you to leave?

I just think saying "fattie" is a bit offensive towards overweight people particularly within the context it was spoken. Not all those who struggle with their weight are simply refusing to stop eating so much - it often goes far deeper than that, as I am sure you already know. There are many psychological and emotional reasons as to why people are obese or having difficulty with their weight.

What was said about Germans and Indians, to my understanding, was spoken within the context of trying to grasp a better comprehension of the facts - spoken by someone who, given their age, can be forgiven for having such misunderstandings. Which were also swiftly corrected by yourself and others to prevent further confusion.

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Listen, I used to be REALLY overwight and people made TONS of fun off of me. It hurt. I began eating for the worng reason and very young I may add. Then I found a lot of basketball made a good extirce and I was tall and I was REALLY good at it. I also carried a screw driver and some metal that I made for brass nuncles. They didn't mess with me no more. :lol:

As for music, Andy, you sorta made fun of rap. But I have to admint, it was REALLY funny. Not that it hurt my feelings or anything. I like soft rock and rock/rap. Kid Rock is a good example. I listen to Green Day and Whesser... But it can't give you any type of deasie or anything.

Hexadecimal;144231 said:
at least I wasn't blaming "Indians" and Germans for forcing people to get cancer

... Are you directing this to me?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Triz;144244 said:
As for music, Andy, you sorta made fun of rap. But I have to admint, it was REALLY funny. Not that it hurt my feelings or anything. I like soft rock and rock/rap. Kid Rock is a good example. I listen to Green Day and Whesser... But it can't give you any type of deasie or anything.

I used to listen to kid rock when i was younger :lol:

Also your quote is correct, make fun of... not threaten physical violence or have things thrown at you and such. Or have people start calling you a dirty rocker or unclean greebo or whatever else insults people can thing of and stereotype rock and metal fans as people who dont bath.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;144274 said:

Also your quote is correct, make fun of... not threaten physical violence or have things thrown at you and such. Or have people start calling you a dirty rocker or unclean greebo or whatever else insults people can thing of and stereotype rock and metal fans as people who dont bath.

B-a-th...?

Angel;144224 said:
Endorphins - is that right Tsuyu? I tend to call them dolphins, which of course is completely nonsensical, but I believe the happy chemicals released are endorphins...something to do with serotonin too...not sure.

Probably hideously wrong :D

Yeah that sounds about right. In Swedish I seem to recall the word "endorfiner", so you are probably correct. ;)

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;144274 said:

A lot of people at school thing of hip-hop/rap as people who just talk about money all the time. It's cool to listen to that kind when your just chilling. There are more artist out there who don't do that though. Talib Kweli, Kanye West, Will Smith( Though he is not very good rapper), Phonro Monarch, Common, and many more! I see what your saying Andy.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;144289 said:
B-a-th...?

Havent got one in my house anymore so guess they would be right... :lol:

I do have a shower in house just for those who think we dont wash. :lol:

Triz;144293 said:
A lot of people at school thing of hip-hop/rap as people who just talk about money all the time. It's cool to listen to that kind when your just chilling. There are more artist out there who don't do that though. Talib Kweli, Kanye West, Will Smith( Though he is not very good rapper), Phonro Monarch, Common, and many more! I see what your saying Andy.

Everyone has different tastes and some might not like others, i was just saying that just because people dont like it doesnt mean they can ridicule or personally attack others for their tastes. Thats what i was referring to in my post before, some people might think certain music sucks and thats fine and natural. However hating a person or looking down on them for their taste isnt right.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;144295 said:
However hating a person or looking down on them for their taste isnt right.

Unless said person is a chav, of course.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;144378 said:
Unless said person is a chav, of course.

Thats because of more things than their taste in clothes and music preferences, thats mainly because they are arrogant people who hate on everyone else. Plus a menace to society and plague on Britain in general.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;144441 said:
Thats because of more things than their taste in clothes and music preferences, thats mainly because they are arrogant people who hate on everyone else. Plus a menace to society and plague on Britain in general.

Yes, but still. My point is that sometimes it is socially acceptable in this hypocritical world. Just like freedom of speech (refer to the "Dawg's Comment"-thread).

:ninja:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;144445 said:
Yes, but still. My point is that sometimes it is socially acceptable in this hypocritical world. Just like freedom of speech (refer to the "Dawg's Comment"-thread).

:ninja:

A good point and some typical double standards.

Sunshine Acid

deadhead
Reaction score

Triz;144090 said:
... I never had that feeling before. But it can be stop! Just like smoking can be helped, but smoking does way more damage than food. Food you can take a few threapy classes that helps. If you have a smoking problem then it's harder to stop.

Depends on the person, its actually quite easy for some people to quit smoking. It depends on your personality and will power.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

True - my sister is purely a social smoker and can give up cigarettes for months and months without a hitch...I don't know why some become addicted and some don't...